No announcement yet.

Folvo, Bob's 2013 Science Fair Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bob - I'm so inspired, I'm gonna do this!

You might notice the 302 looking block under those LS heads... hahahaha. J/k.

I like the freeze plug approach.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Attached Files
      I'm still learning

Comment

Beags that is a freak! That intake is for a Ford upper! Very interesting.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

So Bob, have you figured it out. What are you going to do? You mentioned using a flat top piston and cutting notches for the valves. The stock chamber is 48 to 53 CCs. The standard Ford Head gasket is .040 compressed. The stock volvo valves are 34.5 on intake and 31.5 on exhaust. The stock volvo cam is pretty low lift at 9.425(.3710629") and the valve events are 10/50/50/10 with about 20 degrees of overlap. Assuming .1 clearance on exhaust and .090 on intake and hopefully getting an average of 2ccs per notch your compression will be approx 10.5-11.3. You good with that? You will have an interference engine.

Comment

this is fabulous! Go Bob Go!

then put a nice how-to package together ... I knew I kept that 2.3 twin plug for a reason.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven855 View Post
              So Bob, have you figured it out. What are you going to do? You mentioned using a flat top piston and cutting notches for the valves. The stock chamber is 48 to 53 CCs. The standard Ford Head gasket is .040 compressed. The stock volvo valves are 34.5 on intake and 31.5 on exhaust. The stock volvo cam is pretty low lift at 9.425(.3710629") and the valve events are 10/50/50/10 with about 20 degrees of overlap. Assuming .1 clearance on exhaust and .090 on intake and hopefully getting an average of 2ccs per notch your compression will be approx 10.5-11.3. You good with that? You will have an interference engine.
              2cc per notch? Holy schmoly. Really?

10.5, aluminum head, no quench hemi, sounds like it needs about 50 pounds of boost and ethanol.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                2cc per notch? Holy schmoly. Really?

10.5, aluminum head, no quench hemi, sounds like it needs about 50 pounds of boost and ethanol.
                The challenge is in the chamber. Most of the chambers I have measured have been right at 48. After it was decked it ended up at 45ccs! If you started with a stock turbo piston you are down in the bore .0173 with a d shape dish that , I think is 11ccs. Several people have kept the stock turbo piston and simply used a .120 or .090 copper gasket. Some other have taken the stock piston and cut them down to .095 and used a standard head gasket. Going that direction lowers the compression down to around 8.5:1. Notching is still done. For $600 you can buy CP pistons for the conversion.

You are right on the quench, there is none! Lots of tumble and no swirl.

Comment

Lots of tumble and no swirl.
                  Reminds me of a girl I use to date.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

Tony, I intend to time the cams so that they have no overlap. That's why I'm waiting to decide until I have the parts on hand to mock it up.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      Hey Bob - I'm so inspired, I'm gonna do this!

You might notice the 302 looking block under those LS heads... hahahaha. J/k.

I like the freeze plug approach.
                      The bore centers of a SBF to a LS are something like .040 from each other. Its convenient for me cause I don't have to buy so many flow fixtures. I really like the mix and match combo's cause that is thinking outside of the box! Surprise people when you pop the hood.
                      Nick Smithberg
                      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Is anyone currently running the Folvo combo and how is it performing?
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
                          The bore centers of a SBF to a LS are something like .040 from each other. Its convenient for me cause I don't have to buy so many flow fixtures. I really like the mix and match combo's cause that is thinking outside of the box! Surprise people when you pop the hood.
                          How close are the head studs on something like that Nick?
                          On this Ford conversion, the cylinders are evenly spaced. The Volvo cylinders are not and there is a total of .040 difference in length between the total cylinder spreads. The biggest mismatch is the center cylinders and I've read that some have done some welding on the center divider to match them up. The head bolt spacing is practically the same
                          Last edited by Raven855; January 23, 2013, 09:36 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                            Is anyone currently running the Folvo combo and how is it performing?
                            Scott, quite a few people have done this conversion. Over 300 HP is pretty common with a simple conversion and not a lot of tuning. 800 HP is the maximum I have heard of. You have to remember that some of these conversions have been running well over 10 years. The amount of fabrication was tremendous in the beginning. Today most of the challenge is getting all of the accessories to line up.

Comment

How close are the head studs on something like that Nick?
                              On this Ford conversion, the cylinders are evenly spaced. The Volvo cylinders are not and there is a total of .040 difference in length between the total cylinder spreads. The biggest mismatch is the center cylinders and I've read that some have done some welding on the center divider to match them up. The head bolt spacing is practically the same
                              They are VERY close! From my understanding World Products did a LS and SBF head that the CNC program was tweeked a little bit to run the program for both heads cause they were designed so similar. On my flow fixture both heads bolt right on it.
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
                                They are VERY close! From my understanding World Products did a LS and SBF head that the CNC program was tweeked a little bit to run the program for both heads cause they were designed so similar. On my flow fixture both heads bolt right on it.
                                Your project sounds a lot more interesting than Bobs!

Just kidding Bob......just kidding

Comment

Working...
                                X