No announcement yet.

Folvo, Bob's 2013 Science Fair Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen it done a few years ago on a forum but I'm not building one. Bob's on the other hand is very interesting to me because there is a local guy that is doing one too. Unfortunately he is working and the speed of a snail. I think he is broke and only has a few extra bucks here and there to set aside to buy second hand parts. I'm interested in adapting things that typically are not used.
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

That could be Tony...
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        Is anyone currently running the Folvo combo and how is it performing?
        There are a couple of guys on Youtube with videos of them running.....

And I'm surprised you didn't know about this one since he's running a MS....
        Last edited by TC; January 24, 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

because I personally keep track of the 10,000+ megasquirts that are sold each year, derp
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
            because I personally keep track of the 10,000+ megasquirts that are sold each year, derp
            good lord you have thin skin.... he compliments you, and you reply with snark.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The guy in the second video is PyroPete, he sells a lot of the stuff to do these swaps on ebay......

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                good lord you have thin skin.... he compliments you, and you reply with snark.
                My bad, won't happen again Mr. Thread Police.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Piston fixture for grinding valve eyebrows.

I'll either have to make one, or there is a guy that rents one for $80.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

1 vote make one. Get a spare exhaust and intake valve and braze a cutter tip .050 off the end of it, spin it with a drill. The drill depth collars the guy has above are available at HF for a couple of bucks. You're gonna rebuild the head probably anyway, do it while the valves are out..
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Here's another option for piston to valve clearance. (This is copied from an article)

Pistons are modified stock turbo pistons. They were turned to convert them into flat tops.

This was done to lower the compression ratio as the volume in the head is small compared to the stock head. The pistons were turned approximately 0.090” shorter. All pistons need to be turned to the same height. This adds some valve clearance but it is still an interference engine. That means quench is not very good. However, the 16V head has almost no quench anyway. Compression testing showed 165 psi +/- 5 psi in all cylinders.

This is a useful link as well:

Comment

I read a lot about this and am still working on the theory of either going with tight or pretty much nothing for quench, ie, go over .100 "quench" on turbo mills. I don't have my head wrapped around that yet. I've heard of guys intentionally running .200 down the hole.

Here's one of your pics that shows the back of the head work pretty clearly. Nice gallery! Welcome aboard.

Bob, have a look through the link, there's a billion great pictures! Thanks for helping me to visualize it.
                        Last edited by Beagle; February 14, 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipTie View Post
                          Here's another option for piston to valve clearance. (This is copied from an article)

Pistons are modified stock turbo pistons. They were turned to convert them into flat tops.

This was done to lower the compression ratio as the volume in the head is small compared to the stock head. The pistons were turned approximately 0.090” shorter. All pistons need to be turned to the same height. This adds some valve clearance but it is still an interference engine. That means quench is not very good. However, the 16V head has almost no quench anyway. Compression testing showed 165 psi +/- 5 psi in all cylinders.

This is a useful link as well:

http://www.amcansolutions.com/amcand...6V%20Pictures/
                          Yah, you definitely need to put up a build thread. I would LOVE this car!!! I had a 76 2.8 I would liked to have kept. You konw that old song... haha.

Last edited by Beagle; February 14, 2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Lol!

It's not my build unfortunately.

I have an XR4Ti so this was a consideration early in my ownership but I can't make this legal in Cali because of Smog rules so I went the 302 V8 route.

I prefer the plugging method over the welding method.

My car will be finished soon, I may then sell it, get something pre-smog and start playing with a Volvo head.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for that link.

Bob
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Updates?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X