Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folvo, Bob's 2013 Science Fair Project

Moving this year's science fair project out of this thread:

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...roadrace-coupe.

For the longest time I've wanted to find a DOHC, 4-valve per cylinder head to top my Turbo-4 project. I thought about finding a Cosworth YB engine, but you pretty much have to import a whole engine from the UK. Or, reset the project with a Duratec or wait for one of the new Ecoboost engines.

But, there have been a few folks championing an interesting swap...a Volvo B234 head onto the Ford SOHC block. Takes the best of both engine families. The Ford SOHC block can handle a bunch of power. I'm personally familiar with stock inline 4 bottom ends making over 500whp. The Volvo DOHC 4-valver, stock, outflows all but the most accomplished porters work on a stock and even many aftermarket heads.

So I've decided to work through the swap, it requires a bit of machine work, and depending on which route you take, some welding. My goal will be to mock one up, then set up a working engine on one of my spare blocks and get it running on a run-in stand. I don't expect to do this quickly, it'll be done time permitting.

Pictures:

Head with cam carrier

Cam carrier alone:

Head separated from cam carrier:

Chamber side:

Closer look

I'm still learning

What are the details on the swap? I seem to remember that you need to add some material at the back of the head for a water passage and maybe something about an oil drainback hole, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think you're going to love the head. They really flow well. You should probably upgrade the valvesprings from the get go to avoid float at higher RPM. Josh over at Yoshifab has springs that drop in:

Last edited by Karl Buchka; January 10, 2013, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Interesting! A different Ford/Volvo concept from the SBC in a Volvo like my buddy's wagon.

Dan

Comment

it's pretty, and it'll be unique and cool and all that. Are you doing it to be dirtbag cheap or for dates? I keep coming up with your Boport head being capable of holding it's own. Just curious..
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've researched this a lot, if your lucky you can find someone on Ebay that has already done the modifications to the head to make it fit the Ford 2.3l block, your going to need to weld a piece of aluminum to the end of the head and then your going to need to have it machined........ There are also a few websites that chronicle how to do it..... Good luck Bob!!!!
          Last edited by TC; January 10, 2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            it's pretty, and it'll be unique and cool and all that. Are you doing it to be dirtbag cheap or for dates? I keep coming up with your Boport head being capable of holding it's own. Just curious..
            Beags, this is for grins. And to further freak folks out. The Boport head allows me to make far more power than I'm allowed in the AI class. Once we get it running on the stand I may drop it in a street car for awhile. Whether or not it makes it on the racecar...
            I'm still learning

Comment

Karl, thanks for that reference. TC, the whole reason for doing this, is to do this. So buying it ready made would defeat the purpose. I've purchased stuff from Pyropete123 in the past, and he offers the heads on Ebay. But I'd prefer to build it with no welding, if possible, in order to retain the stock heat treating in the head.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                Karl, thanks for that reference. TC, the whole reason for doing this, is to do this. So buying it ready made would defeat the purpose. I've purchased stuff from Pyropete123 in the past, and he offers the heads on Ebay. But I'd prefer to build it with no welding, if possible, in order to retain the stock heat treating in the head.
                If I remember right they weld the piece of aluminum on the head to cover some of the coolant passages in the block, as the head is a little shorter than the block.....

Comment

They sound pretty badass to!!!!

Comment

They sound even better on methanol.

Bob, I'm sure you know already, but Turbobricks is the go-to for info on doing go-fast stuff to the B234f head. There are tons of threads on it and a lot of guys are running them nowadays. I'm getting ready to drop one in a 242 of mine as well.
                    Last edited by Karl Buchka; January 10, 2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Wow - right down to the valve stem seals that looks allot like a Honda head.

Nice work Bob! I look forward to following this.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Wow - right down to the valve stem seals that looks allot like a Honda head.

Nice work Bob! I look forward to following this.
                        being inlines with the giddyup horsy noises are worshipped around the retarded world..there is bound to be something to fit right on.

I'd boost a 2 valve iron to 50 pounds before going four valve on a jackhammer..but hey.
                        it is interesting.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                          I'd boost a 2 valve iron to 50 pounds before going four valve on a jackhammer..but hey.
                          Why is that?

Comment

Thanks Karl, I did not know that. I will go there and poke around.

When I get this thing running, I think I'll even fiddle with DVs polyquad idea. This is basically an intellectual excerise, so why not.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Buchka View Post
                              They sound even better on methanol.

Bob, I'm sure you know already, but Turbobricks is the go-to for info on doing go-fast stuff to the B234f head. There are tons of threads on it and a lot of guys are running them nowadays. I'm getting ready to drop one in a 242 of mine as well.
                              that's really cool, but what is it with the Scandinavians and tile floors in their garages?
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X