How Much Engine Angle I OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Engine Angle I OK?

As I put the M-B into the S-10 I'm noticing that it seems to want to sit with the trans output shaft lower than the vibration dampner such that the whole deal is on an angle. As I think about it I think this is fairly common.

The fix is to notch the trans tunnel so everything clears better and if needed I'll do that but if some angle is OK I'll go with that.

So how much is too much?

Dan

Dan are you speaking to the drive shaft angle?..........I've always thought about 3 degrees in angle.

Notching the tunnel for better trans clearance wouldn't be a bad idea...been there, done that.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Fords run about 4-5deg trans down with rear end up the same 4-5deg.
      On the MB you could mount it 0 to the frame and adjust the rear for correct phasing,but if the output of the trans and the rear end are the same hieght 0-0 would be a problem so giving it 2-5 trans down would be better.

Comment

3-4 degrees is very common. If it's an auto trans, put the trans pan bottom so it's parallel to the straightest part of the frame, and you'll have it perfect
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll take a measurement and see where it is. Thinking a cut in the tunnel may be in order.

Dan

Comment

I point the Trans output shaft straight to the pinon to the rear end then add pinon angle in the rear end
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

If I recall right, the trans and rear pinion should be parallel when under power. If the trans is 4 down the pinion should be 4 up. The angle of the drive line to horizontal doesn't matter. Then the height between the trans and rear can be adjusted to get 2-4 degrees of drive shaft u joint angle.

Article on it. http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html..._harmonics.php

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                I point the Trans output shaft straight to the pinon to the rear end then add pinon angle in the rear end
                This is the way I do it when I build any chassis cars

Comment

Thanks greatly guys. I've done engine swaps before but used commercial mounts (like a SBC into a CJ5) so the angle thing was already set up. Surprisingly, I haven't found OM617 M-B into an S-10 mount set!

Dan

Comment

Ditto on the drive line angles being equal. All the early Mustang guys who put T5's in run into vibration frequently because the T5's shifter housing hits the tunnel. All the swap kits have a new trans cross member bracket that lowere the rear of the trans to fit the tunnel. Very often they get vibrations and need to shim the trans back up as far as they can to clear it up. Once the drive shaft is at an angle to the trans with U joints, the speed of the shaft varies to the speed of the output shaft of the trans. The rear joint needs to be 180* out to and a complimentary angle to cancle the varying speed of the shaft to stop vibrations.

I seem to recall that more then 5*, there's a big loss in effency.
                    Last edited by Huskinhano; January 20, 2013, 05:29 PM.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Thanks greatly guys. I've done engine swaps before but used commercial mounts (like a SBC into a CJ5) so the angle thing was already set up. Surprisingly, I haven't found OM617 M-B into an S-10 mount set!

Dan
                      Gee!... I wonder why? ....:....

Comment

Dan - if you're having a hard time making mounts work - look at the welder's series stuff - I got their universal mounts for sbf and for mounting the track and pinion at an angle in the M2 install on the falcon.
                        I have not used the engine mounts - I made factory mounts work - but the pieces are well made and very reasonably priced - I bet they have something you could use for your oil burning pickup.

Here I was thinking I was over my cheap commuter diesel MB idea - and you go and do this, Now I'm considering an old explorer southern truck with an MB swap for a commuter - damit Dan!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'll volunteer Russell and me to find you a Southern Explorer! Russell's good at finding stuff and I'm an enabler.

Think I have the mounts sorted out. Maybe. The factory rubber mounts are pretty adaptable and I think I know how to get from here to there.

Dan

Comment

I want to put the same engine in an early Nova (Chevy II) 4dr or wagon and drive the thing daily. Only hang up I've found is no one seems to make decent upgraded steering systems for a front sump.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I measured it before I pulled the engine back out to clean the bay. It was right at 5*, guessing the spot on the top of the cam cover was 90* to the crank (looked pretty close). I've decided to go ahead and notch the one side of the firewall so I can put it wherever I want it. I'll have to fiddle with the gofaster pedal (NOT a gas pedal!) but that's resolvable.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X