• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your right when it comes to the stuck/rusted stuff... spray it down
    a FEW times and let it sit... sometimes days... I dont usually have
    the time so its like time for the good old blue flame wrench for some heat
    but now that I'm retired time isnt too much of a problem... spray it
    and work on another job(I always have plenty)
    Last edited by MR P-BODY; January 28, 2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
      ... spray it
      and work on another job(I always have plenty)
      Story of my life. HA!!
      I'm still learning

Comment

Just have a question -
        Synthetic or Dino ATF, of does it matter? I have some of either so I could brew it eigher way.

Dan

Comment

I purchased the cheapest ATF I could find.
          I'm still learning

Comment

I have some suspension bolts on Herbie I can try that on. Thanx.

Comment

I bet the homebrew works better becuase it's probably not EPA-approved to sell the same thing premixed. Especially where Bob lives, I remember CA carb cleaner being not very effective...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

heat and cool, propane torch.

those penetrating oils are ridiculous..
                and my locale with ATF. sick freaking joke at the chemical result.
                I have not had an automoatic tranny in years. finally got the buggy into modern power steering fluids.

if man makes it, it has got an opposite to the engineers intention someplace.

maine and ATF...is a big "WTF"
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Think I'll mix up a load of that for the Nailhead - still seized and sitting in the shop. Worth a try!

Dan
                  Uncle who was a diesel mechanic said in the sparkplug holes to use white vinegar..
                  Never tried it... He was a bit of a know it all.. His way, others be damned...

Comment

That probably won't help. The heads are on a cart and the short block is on a 4-wheeled dolly so the vinegar will just run down the cart and onto the floor! Think I'll try the ATF/Acetone first.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      That probably won't help. The heads are on a cart and the short block is on a 4-wheeled dolly so the vinegar will just run down the cart and onto the floor! Think I'll try the ATF/Acetone first.

Dan
                      As would I... Was hoping somebody would claim bull or laud the vinegar trick.. Defies logic in my book..

Comment

at the local U-pull-a-part, removing an aluminum ABS module.. notorious for breaking off the screws... forgot the damn blaster... decided to try the power steering fluid off the dipstick... soaked for about five minutes... worked!! wow...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have a Tpe IV VW engine that apparently has sat for YEARS with the heads off. I have it propped up and have been soaking the pistons with Marvel Mystery Oil for months, then switched to ATF for a couple months.

The guts are loose, as I can move the crank through a few degrees either direction, and peeping through the pushrod tubes and drain plate shows no internal rust.

I'll have to mix up a dose of this concoction and give it the ultimate real world test. Maybe do a writeup on it with pictures.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

That would be fabulous - I can tell you it works, but I've not given it the rusted up for years rings / cylinder walls test.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                            X