Electric power rack and pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric power rack and pinion

they are getting relatively cheap.... i.e. the Equinox ones ... but dumb question.... are they front steer or rear steer?

I can't believe I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm probably going to convert my C3 to rack and pinion and I do not want to put another leaking PS pump on my car

Tardis.... any ideas?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

that is clever stuff.

rack and pinion uses assisted steering,meaning one could kill the power steering part and keep going.

I like the idea of it.

subaru has been there forever. the assisted steering can die, and you still have a rack with gears..just use your arms a little more. I mention subaru, as I have the ten geared chassis snapper. the steering does a bit of work.

I'd love to try one of those..

although power steering and seals and real fluids, they are way up into half million mile marks today.

don't hang onto the past opinions about power steering and that ridiculous atf. Evn the word "viton" fixed half a century in a ten minute rebuild.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I know my dad's VW Jetta has electric power steering..... And I believe lots of Jap cars came with Rack and Pinions that have the electronic assist built into the rack....... You could probably make one fit for your purposes...... And here's link to a GM one.... I guess $600 isn't to bad.....

Comment

one of BSs sponsors has a electric power steering unit and was talked about on last weeks Power Shift, you can watch the reply of it and get the lowdown or head over to American Powertrains website and check it out there
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

An 2008 Equinox electric rack and pinion is $127.00..... but is it front steer or rear steer? (meaning is it in front of the centerline of the axle or behind)

yes, I could spend several thousand dollars buying one of three manufacturer's electric power sterring kits - but I'd rather not

The other option is a Saab 900 rack and pinion - but it's hydraulic rather than manual or electric... which may go well with the 5.3 I've bought.... oops, that's a later upgrade
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 30, 2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Lots of fords have EPAS now as well, including the new explorer 2009 and newer escapes, etc.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

alright!!! y'all are driving me nuts

which cars with EPA are rear steer?

sheesh....

Comment

I don't think any manufacturer makes rear steer cars anymore, everything I've seen since 1994 or so has been front steer. Given your level of fabrication expertise I don't really see it as an insurmountable problem.

Comment

ME's HHR is electric but she's not home right now so I can't check it for front/rear. I'll check back in once she arrives (out running errands).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                    I don't think any manufacturer makes rear steer cars anymore, everything I've seen since 1994 or so has been front steer. Given your level of fabrication expertise I don't really see it as an insurmountable problem.
                    Ya if it's for a GM truck chassis I'd think it would be in front.....

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
                      not true - the Saab 900 is rear steer....

if anyone wonders where the aftermarket rack and pinion manufacturers get their stuff.... here's one of them

95-99 (IIRC) Saab 900

as is the 2013 dodge 4x4 pickup

dammit, I've seen the frame picture about a dozen times, but can I find it right now? oh hell no.... dammit
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 30, 2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

GM had the quadrasteer truck for 3 years, talked to a guy on powertour that has owned like 5 of them, he put a 67-72 truck cab and bed on one of those frames
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                          GM had the quadrasteer truck for 3 years, talked to a guy on powertour that has owned like 5 of them, he put a 67-72 truck cab and bed on one of those frames
                          those are cool, but the Feds still require a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

Comment

Crawling under the HHR (the S-10 is on the hoist), it seems to be rear steer. Worth checking out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Crawling under the HHR (the S-10 is on the hoist), it seems to be rear steer. Worth checking out.

Dan
                              sweet... thanks Dan!

Comment

Working...
                              X