Early Mustang Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Mustang Suspension

If any of you have ever dealt with early Mustang suspension, you know that there is an upper and lower control arm and that there is a strut rod (to prevent fore and aft movement of the lower control arm?).

My question is:
    Is there any reason why a lower control arm with 2 points mounting on the frame could not replace the lower control arm with only 1 mounting point to the frame and eliminate the the strut rod in the process?
    Bakersfield, CA.

No.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16 View Post
      If any of you have ever dealt with early Mustang suspension, you know that there is an upper and lower control arm and that there is a strut rod (to prevent fore and aft movement of the lower control arm?).

My question is:
      Is there any reason why a lower control arm with 2 points mounting on the frame could not replace the lower control arm with only 1 mounting point to the frame and eliminate the the strut rod in the process?
      Ridetech makes one for the 65-70 impalas. CPP makes one for the box novas. I am sure someone makes one for a mustang.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One of my circle track customers has a discount table that has 3 pairs of triangular a arms sitting on it. There are 3 different widths. They are complete a arm assemblies and they want $10 an arm. Clearance sale.

I am thinking about snagging a pair of them to use, but since the early Mustangs use a single mounting point lower arm, I would have to fab up a mount for the 2 point mount.

Does anyone have a line on any good websites for a-arm suspension geometry?

What is the ideal relationship between the arms and the ground? I have heard before that for ideal handling, the lower arm should be near paralell with the ground. Correct?
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

You would need to have caster adjustment in there somewhere, that is one function of the strut rod. Other than that, I don't see why not.

cheers
          Ed
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

The structure of the Mustang chassis is not made for that-type control arm...one advantage of the strut-rod setup is that it directs loads into the corners where there is already strength and the chassis can be made lighter. If you want to switch to the Mustang II type, you'd need to use a crossmember that was built for it.

Comment

When I put the Mustang 2 cross member in the falcon, I used tubular lower control arms and no strut rods. That's the typical "street rod" set up for the M2 conversion. The lower control arm is considerably wider at the pivot than the cross member, a sleeve and gusset came with the kit to be welded to the cross member.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Here's the pic of the Ridetech front end setup. You can see this package comes with triangulated lower A arms that still have the caster adjustment.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Man that ride tech stuff looks nice, probably $2k well spent if you want a bolt in set up and don't want to loose the shock towers.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

They have complete front and rear setups in three different stages using airbags or coil overs. I think you can buy the pieces individually.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a 2X3 Front frame rail set up with Pinto type susp on it, very nice close to this picture. I will be parting with at any time if your wanting to make a change.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1534.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	867328
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

jason childress who owns classic mustang in st louis mo can answer those questions for you, he pounds the living buhjeebus out of his 66 stang and has been known to post on here from time to time
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                          I have a 2X3 Front frame rail set up with Pinto type susp on it, very nice close to this picture. I will be parting with at any time if your wanting to make a change.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18133[/ATTACH]
                          is that what you're using on your malibu now ?

Comment

Malibu is a Stock susp car. This is off my Old Pro Street 66 Nova unfinished. I am putting it back to a stock susp car I have 3 Nova's to make 1.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

ah, ok, so its one of the bolt in kits ?

Comment

Working...
                              X