Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 suburban won't start

Hello

At first the truck would only make a click click noise when we tried to start it. A friend came over and found one of the wires from the battery was not tight. He fixed it and he tried it seven or eight times and it started up each time right away. When we later tried to start it once again all it would do was click click. Now it won't even click it does nothing at all. When this first started happening it seemed to only happen after driving for about a half hour. When it got good and warm. it got to the point where we would leave it running where ever we went. Do you think it could be the starter? If every thing running to the battery is clean and snug what else could it be?

Re: 93 suburban won't start

Could be a lot of things, I would get a test light on it and try to figure out which it is, before replacing parts.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I agree, test first and find the problem rather than semi-randomly buy parts. Check the cable at the Starter, I've had the nut back off before and it doesn't take much to kill the power.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I would check and clean all your battery connections, and all the body grounds. What you are experiencing sounds to me like a bad ground. You should have one going to the block, (which generally has a ground tab bolted to the frame as well), and one to the body, (usually a 10 ga. black bolted to the inner fenderwell). Wouldn't hurt to load test the battery & charging system while you are at it, if it's hard to start, it may not be charging very well either, which in some cases can really overwork an alternator. 8)

Comment

I'm with you on the bad ground, been there before.... Also double check the connection to the alterator wire, mine was fried at the o-ring under the rubber gromme one time and ou couldn't see it, and it would kill the batter in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by audball
            Hello

At first the truck would only make a click click noise when we tried to start it. A friend came over and found one of the wires from the battery was not tight. He fixed it and he tried it seven or eight times and it started up each time right away. When we later tried to start it once again all it would do was click click. Now it won't even click it does nothing at all. When this first started happening it seemed to only happen after driving for about a half hour. When it got good and warm. it got to the point where we would leave it running where ever we went. Do you think it could be the starter? If every thing running to the battery is clean and snug what else could it be?
            Hope your done with this problem by now but Ijust came accross your post. This might be over simplistic but, my sister keep doing this....I'd tightened the batt. cable(positive I think) on her tahoe It would be fine after I'd charge the batt. back up.Then about a month later she would have the same symtoms .I'd go over and it'd just click like yours,I checked the cable and it was loose again .Long story short this happened several times.I finally showed her how to work a wrench and just check it every two weeks .

Comment

HoosierGTA, a little wire brush, some dielectric grease and a new battery terminal bolt will usually cure that problem, seen it dozens of times. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Rickracer
                HoosierGTA, a little wire brush, some dielectric grease and a new battery terminal bolt will usually cure that problem, seen it dozens of times. 8)
                Thanks but they(her&bro. law) went Mopar so there on their own! Just kidding I guys I've had 2 satellites 72and 74 and a72gremlinX . I went chevy when chrysler about went bankrupt in the 80's and thot I'd have a hard time getting parts. LOL sure wish I had both '72s back.

Comment

Check your battery cables. If you ever had a leaking battery those cables were famous for getting battery acid in the cables and the acid would travel all of the way down to the starter. It is very possible to have a dirty cable connection or just a bad cable. Corrosion is your enemy.
                  1964 Chevelle
                  Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                  LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

check and see what yor ohms are for the ground. that will solve you bad ground thinking. also how old is the battery? when the suburban is running what is the alternator charging at? all is required to check these things is a simple volt meter.

Comment

Working...
                    X