Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you recommend: 2 or 4 post lift? What brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you recommend: 2 or 4 post lift? What brand?

I would like to buy a lift but I am unsure what brand to get. I'm also not certain if I want a 2 or 4 post. I hear the 2 posts are more versital (i.e. can do transmission, brake jobs, etc.) but the 4 post are more sturdy and are better for storing cars on.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Re: What do you recommend: 2 or 4 post lift? What brand?

Rotary 2 post.

Comment

Depends on room and what you want to spend. 2 post will be easier to work around, but a 4 post with jacks that slide between the flats will go a long way too, just more spendy.

Comment

Originally posted by StrokedW7
        I would like to buy a lift but I am unsure what brand to get. I'm also not certain if I want a 2 or 4 post. I hear the 2 posts are more versital (i.e. can do transmission, brake jobs, etc.) but the 4 post are more sturdy and are better for storing cars on.

Steve

I have had 4 post lifts and plenty of 2 posts, I got rid of my four post and replaced it with two 2 posts.. I can't for the life of me figure ANY reason why a hobbyist with limited room would want a 4 post, its a no brainer if you ask me.. I have worked under lifts for over 27 years..

Comment

If you're over 6ft tall, I can tell you that Bend Pac is the only company that makes a lift tall enough to keep you from hitting your head, they have a custom height option on one lift that gives the arm itself 6 more inches of lift height, totally worth the $500

Comment

I've always been a believer that you don't need anything more than a 2 poster. i have left cars on them for a couple of days without any problems.

Comment

A lot depends on what type of work you'll be using it for. Two posters are definitely more versatile, and most jobs go much quicker on them, but some jobs ARE better on a four post, for instance, exhaust work, but don't try and FWD trannies on one, many motor jobs these days have to come out the bottom as well, four poster won't do them. If you do a lot of exhaust and no FWD trans jobs, go for the 4 poster, otherwise, the 2 post would get my nod. 8)

Comment

Been really happy with my Rotary 2 post asymmetrical

Comment

Although there are limitations, I'd say 2 post asymmetrical, too. It's what I have and I'm generally happy. Bought mine a couple of years ago, and researched it quite a bit. I wanted to buy US made but found that virtually all in my price range (NTE $2000) were made in China, as well as most of the higher priced ones. However, the pump on mine is US made, so I felt a little better about that. I went with Pace Tools on line, and they did right by me. The hoist was $1700 including shipping.

Remember, you'll need to beg, borrow, or rent a forklift or some such to unload it. Also, you'll need at least 5" of flat concrete to put it on. Mine is on 4 to 5, and I wasn't warm and fuzzy with the way the shallower holes felt when I bolted it down, although it seems to be OK. I had 1 anchor that didn't tighten and I set that one in with the epoxy that contractors use to fix concrete screw-ups, and it worked great.

Later
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    Remember, you'll need to beg, borrow, or rent a forklift or some such to unload it.
                    Now you tell me, I got to help my friend unload his...no fork lift....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

All the fastening on my two 4-post lifts are done with these 'chemical anchors', as we call them overhere.

Coming back to the original question, 2 or 4 posts...
                      I always get slightly nervous when one of my fullsize heaps is on such a 2-post lift. They wobble quite a bit when you have a 4500 lbs 19' car on there.
                      That's also (partly) why I have 4-post lifts. (The other part of they were free ;D )
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

tough to argue with free bigblock, but I have to argue against you in the weight arena.

You must think about the heaviest vehicle (and longest and tallest) you may put on your lift.

I purchased a 10,000lb assymetric 2 post Whip brand lift (made in TX) from Greg Smiths in Indy - he now has delaware and georgia stores and is a great guy to deal with.

I have had ambulances, 4x4 diesel crew cab long box one ton pickups, etc on my lift - you need to pay attention to where you think the center of gravity is of the vehicle - and position it as close to centered on the collumns as you can -- I always lift the vehicle up about a foot then push down on the front and back bumpers to get an idea of how stable it is - and readjust if necessary.

The heaviest job I've done so far is a clutch on a diesel 4x4 truck - if you EVER plan on doing any trans work - buy a tall trans jack - totally worth it, and don't even bring the lift home without a pair of tall jack stands --- sure makes axle swaps, shocks, springs, etc, allot easier!

For sure you need a forklift, a tractor with a lift boom or something substantial not only to unload but also to place the collumns - measure 5 times and drill all those holes only once!

I would also recomend at least 6" of concrete - even if you have to rent a concrete saw to cut out sections of your 4" or unkown depth floor, jackhammer them out, and dig - rebar - and repour deeper concrete "piers" or similar to anchor the lift to --- you're talking about potential life threatening accidents here---- no time to guess about the safety factor involved.

Go with a 2 post clear floor model as long as you have the headroom for it in your building - It will be the best investment in tools you'll ever make!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Absolutely clear floor model. Those floor bumps are a real pain. My bro sent me money for a trans jack, which I will buy as soon as I get a trans job.

Dan

Comment

milner,
                            10,000 lbs is more than some of my cars have been on.
                            I think 7,500 lbs max is what I've seen used. (before I had my own lifts)

And you're right about only lifting the car a foot first, then check for balance, and then proceed.
                            Transjacks and axle stands are a huge help ofcourse. I've got them aswell.
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

They both have advantages. But, after owning both, I can tell you the 2 post is way more versatile. And, I've stored cars under my 2 post for 15 years
                              Originally posted by StrokedW7

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X