Iron versus Aluminum 9-inch Ford housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron versus Aluminum 9-inch Ford housing

At my power levels (600HP would be uber uber optimistic) and at ~3,800lbs is there any advantages or reasons to go with iron over aluminum? It's like a $300 difference, but that doesn't bother me much. I'm just thinking if I swap out the third member a time or two over the year an aluminum one would be a nice weight break. Thoughts? Pro's? Con's?
    Escaped on a technicality.

I would use the steel as many miles as you drive.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I've been thinking about this, and from what I can tell the aluminum center that's strong enough is not a whole bunch lighter than the iron version. This is the one I had in mind

Free Shipping - Moser Engineering Aluminum Cases for Ford 9 in. with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Third Member Case Only at Summit Racing.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I haven't shopped around, but I was looking at the whole carrier assembly with gears and a tru-trac off the Chassisworks website.

Comment

What is the spec tolerance for pinion gear depth setting?
          Assuming you set your gears up at 80 degrees F then between -20F and +180F the pinion depth setting will move
          between -.003" to +.003" for an Iron housing and -.006" to +.006" for an Aluminum housing.

Comment

Iron / steel is the way to go, the weight savings is pretty minimal compared to the other concerns of aluminum fatigue and the thermal expansion mentioned by aircooled.

I would get a good set up for your "track gears" and if you want to swap in highway gears - they're common from the junkyard if you don't go with exotic axle spline counts.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
              What is the spec tolerance for pinion gear depth setting?
              Assuming you set your gears up at 80 degrees F then between -20F and +180F the pinion depth setting will move
              between -.003" to +.003" for an Iron housing and -.006" to +.006" for an Aluminum housing.
              This is what I was getting at.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

It's pretty unanimous on the iron So that's settled.

Comment

problem is if you go nodular iron you wont be able to buy a new carrier again.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                    problem is if you go nodular iron you wont be able to buy a new carrier again.
                    Lol

Comment

I run a 8 3/4 alum center in my race car... its 15%-20% stronger
                      than a stock center... mainly due to the cap bolts are through bolts..
                      on my 9" for the DW car its a iron center... I wouldnt worry about
                      running a alum center on the street... but your not gaining much and
                      laying out $300 more

Comment

I've got a Strange nodular in my 9" in my truck, reliable as hell so far.

...and its the same one I had in my jeep for 4 years, rockcrawling and driving all over AZ & Mexico... and I know if anything breaks, it'll probly be something else first...
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I run the Strange Pro iron case which is overkill for yours at present, but I like to buy for the long term. One of the step up cases will help your gear set last longer too. And putting one of these things in from on you back under the car builds character. Do get the "Daytona" pinion support.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I made a gizmo to hold the pumpkin with a floor jack, makes it pretty easy to swap

Click image for larger version

Name:	gizmo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	869936
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I need to start making gizmo's too!

Comment

Working...