Who's got their battery in the trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's got their battery in the trunk?

Decided to move the battery out of the engine bay in my '56... sick of hitting my head on it when I change plugs.

Whattayouse guys use for battery cable, and where do you get it?

I think 'Batteries Plus' will crimp some custom cables...

I've heard welding cable is actually not a good idea. Why is that again?
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
    I've heard welding cable is actually not a good idea. Why is that again?

Because it takes away from the market for the lesser quality cables?

If you can, check out a Ag Dealership. The good ones should have good bulk cable in stock, and can make you whatever you need at a reasonable cost, adding whatever style ends you prefer.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I use welding cable. You can pick up a crimper for not a bunch of money.

Make sure to take care of the grounding, its just as important as power.
      I'm still learning

Comment

buy a summit battery relocation kit.

welding cable is great for battery moving - it flexes easier (because it has more wires, yet thinner)... however, it's also more expensive - and in anything but a race car or a 4x4 with a winch, unnecessary
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Another option for battery cables is to pull them out of junkyard 3 series BMWs; they had trunk mounted batteries with cables that had what looks a lot like a battery post stuck on the underhood end.

Comment

That's a good tip.

Reminds me of another option......machinery salvage yards. Combine and lots of other heavy equipment have pretty long cables.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

56....is that a car? or a truck?
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

On my salt flat car we had 2 batteries in the trunk. I got all the cables from a battery store and they crimped the ends for me. We ran both the + and - all the way to the engine. Had a big 140Amp alternator and never had any problems.

Comment

I'm also a big believer in running both + and -. I also ground to the chassis from the battery.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I use the welding cable... if you do move the battery you have to
                    run a master shut off switch and then run your alt + to the battery
                    side of the master(if you run any IHRA or NHRA tracks).. you can run
                    a solenoid if you want but I dont do it that way on the race car(KISS)..
                    I always solder the ends on with shrink tubing... do it yourself.. takes
                    all of 2 minutes per connector

Comment

I have a couple of mine in the trunk. Running the ground back up front solved a bunch is issues, like hard hot cranking on the 'Stang. I use welding cable, too. More pricey but I don't think this is the place to save money.

Dan

Comment

I was just playing around with one of those electromagnetic radiation detectors..

it detected the coil is a lively one.

I then put the pieces together as to why the battery and coolant reservoir is where it is...coil right nearby, all factory locations.
                        I don't use the oil filed coils anymore, going to leave battery underhood. The negative is the only filter thiefing one way. all else is "pushed" to disperse...

that and I have a wagon.
                        the welding wire is very nice, if you ever chnge your mind about location, it makes great engine to chassis grounds.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 13, 2013, 08:10 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Squirrel, this thing.

I'm up in the N-No-Northeast, so I have no clue what an "Ag dealership" is. I do know the last time I saw a Tractor Supply Co. was in Ohio.

Does a Toro dealer count as an "Ag dealership"?
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                            Another option for battery cables is to pull them out of junkyard 3 series BMWs; they had trunk mounted batteries with cables that had what looks a lot like a battery post stuck on the underhood end.

this works good, the cable in my Fairlane is from a MINI cooper, of course!
                            67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                            05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                              Squirrel, this thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tonytruck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	869931

I thought so.

Where do you plan to put the battery? I moved the battery in my 59 to under the bed, behind the cab, outside the frame rail...but it was a royal pain to deal with it there, so I moved it back to where it belongs. With a stepside bed it wouldn't fit there anyways.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X