Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beast in the Bushes.

1964 E100.

Popped that mushed down top back up all the way. I built a dandy little frame, put the 20 ton jacks in it, floundered around with that a bit, adjusted here, rebuilt it there, got cranky. So, I put the frame on my back, climbed in the van, put the frame up against the roof and stood up as far as possible. Boing! The middle of the roof popped up. So I moved all around repeating the process, and there she is. Popped up everywhere. Wrinkly and creased in places, rusted through in a couple, but back up there. Low tech still works. Pictures to follow.

Is there an advantage to modernizing the electrics to an alternator?

Congrats!

Is there an advantage to modernizing the electrics to an alternator?
    Charging at idle, more current, easier to source if it fails.

Comment

one wire, internally regulated, I'd say yes.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

and replacement I would say. I take it you have a generator on now?

also you can support a sponsor of the forum powermaster lol
        Last edited by anotheridiot; May 20, 2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Neeeeeed pics
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Ya gotta do a 06 & up Crown Vic suspension. Big brakes, R&P along with good geometry and it almost a bolt on.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
              and replacement I would say. I take it you have a generator on now?

also you can support a sponsor of the forum powermaster lol
              I run powermaster alternators (on stuff I care about).... but you would probably triple the amount of money you have in your van if you put it on there
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                Ya gotta do a 06 & up Crown Vic suspension. Big brakes, R&P along with good geometry and it almost a bolt on.
                uhhhhhh, other than the rear, lower control arm mount

Comment

For now and the next year or two, it will be a matter of getting her running and reasonably watertight. I was thinking about the alternator because I am going to have to completely rewire anyway, and I want to stick something a bit bigger in the '73. I got handed a small winch that I can mount on the truck. Trays are in place for a dual battery setup. Yes, it's a 2wd, but there are a lot of handy things about having a winch, or a wench for that matter <G>. Then I could pull the smaller alt out of the truck and put it in the van. Win-win. Make them basically the same electrics, easier for me to keep track. I am not concerned with restoration on either of them, just fun, work and reliable operation at the moment. Right now I have but one operational vehicle, and that is not only imprudent, it is a PITA. The truck is pulling yeoman duty as our daily driver and country living work beastie. The 98 Sunfire is still sitting there with a locked up automagic transmission due to a lack of time and money, mostly time. The '87 Sable finally just wore out. Good old car. I picked it up for $400, and we put over 90,000 miles on it with maybe a grand in repairs. Much of that mileage was on gravel roads and winter snows. The '89 Trooper is a maybe, still trying to decide what to do with that. The head is wasted and there's over a hundred k on the clock, but I really like the durn thing. I work outside, so sometimes the roof that isn't there leaks a bit. We are collecting up materials to build a barn or shop,but that's a ways down the line. That slows things down. Got the mower and the Troy-Bilt running the other day, just picked up a motor for the fire pump and spent a bit of time working on the hydraulics for the '57 John Deere 420c crawler. I'll sure be happy when I get THAT back up and running. It was a lump of yard art when we moved in here. Mice were living inside the head! We ran it for several years till the hydraulics took a dump. Great for plowing snow, getting firewood, grading, bugging the neighbors, etc. There's four cords of wood to split in the driveway, but one of my neighbors dropped off his wood-splitter so that won't be such a pain in the back. I really like splitting wood with a maul, but the splitter makes things go a lot faster. Here I am wasting time on the computer. Huh. I'm putting together the newsletter for our association and taking a break to do this. The association is an all volunteer org with 166 properties and 132 owners. We have 6.5 miles of private gravel roads we maintain, including gravel, drainage and grading. In the winter we provide all our own snow removal. We also maintain a shower house and well for the membership, a community garden, clear the brush and trees along the right-of-ways and provide a burning place for brush for the membership. The volunteer fire department burns that twice a year. Lots safer that way. We manage that on a budget of sixteen grand a year. I'm the pres, so you know they are a desperate lot! Anyway, running off at the mouth. Burning daylight, got to get back to work. Thanks for all the help, advice and entertainment. You are some great folks to know.

Comment

for some reason I thought you were west of me.... I didn't realize... I used to work as the Coca Cola rep for that entire area - one of my most favorite places is Glenwood and the rodeo.... I head that way on a fairly regular basis

In fact, my dad's 55 Buick I pulled from a field halfway up the hill to Glenwood out of BZ Corner.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 23, 2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Was just wondering today if this project made it any further?
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Not much, really. I've been slowed down. Getting back up to speed, though. She's rolling and that's about it. Bearings and brakes this week after some more clean up.

Comment

Working...
                        X