No announcement yet.

Cooling Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my question is, why you think 220 is to hot?

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
      I dont have enough room to put on a mechanical and electrical. For me its one or the other.
      My point is that the mechanical fan cools better than the twin electrics in my case.....if I didn't have the room, I'd ditch the electrics.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Getting a shroud fabbed up this week hopefully it will be ready by the end of the week. And I can try it this weekend, I am in no hurry to get it since it is being made for free.

If this doesn't work I am going to try stock shroud and mechanical fan.

Comment

Got my shroud. All was looking good until I got it in the car. I tried to keep the shroud as skinny as I could but it now the fan hits the bolts in the water pump pulley barely, but just enough for concern. I ordered some flat head screws from McMaster Carr and a countersink so I can countersink the bolt holes in my water pump pulley. I don't have pictures of the shroud installed my phone went dead before I got it installed. Here are pictures of the shroud prior to installation. Another problem I am having is the shroud kind of has a gap at the top and the bottom. I can't come up with a good way to tighten the gap up.

I am going to go ahead and try this setup. Since all I am into the shroud for is the bolts and countresink. Then I am going to install my stock shroud which should fit this raditator and install a mechcanical fan.

My question is when switching over to mechanical should I go to a clutch fan or is a non clutch mechanical fan going to be okay? I have a fan that I bought a long time ago from summit that is suppose to move enormous amounts of air.

I was thinking about something the other day do you think that my cowl hood would have any effect on my cars cooling issues. Like causing some type of air situation inside the engine compartment causing the hot air to be contained and thus keeping the temperature of the motor up?

I am just trying to figure it out. I am open to any suggestions.
          Last edited by cal67ss396; August 5, 2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

if the air can get past the shroud, the cowl would be an easy way for it to get out at low speed. At speed I think it's the other way around, and that's a low pressure area? it's early and my brain is not right but that is what popped into it.

Other than losing HP potentially and a ton of noise, either clutch or direct connection mechanical should work. I'd try to get a clutched fan because of the noise.

I'd use duct tape (that's what it was made for) to seal up the electric setup/shroud and then see if it works okay. If it does, then scheme up another solution for filling up the gaps.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396 View Post
              Got my shroud. . Another problem I am having is the shroud kind of has a gap at the top and the bottom. I can't come up with a good way to tighten the gap up.

I am open to any suggestions.
              How big is the gap? If it's under a half inch, you could use some pipe insulation from Lowe's or Home Depot. A 6" piece of it costs a couple bucks. Just cut it to length, and cut it in half or in thirds with a razor knife, then sandwich between the radiator and the shroud. If the gap is bigger, maybe fold it over/ double it up.

*edit 6' piece, not 6" piece.
              Last edited by yellomalibu; August 10, 2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X