How to make a racey-looking part... "One more way to skin a cat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a racey-looking part... "One more way to skin a cat"

Working on a friends project. Needed to make a sheet metal part to cover a 2"x3" frame rail in the rear of the car. Trying to keep a "race car" look in the part. Here is one way to do it. The material is 20 gauge cold rolled steel. To make the "belled" edge on the holes I turned down some scrap on the lathe to make a simple die to squeeze in the vise. Using a Greenlee punch (electricians tool) I punched out the holes; then followed through with the die/vise combo to "bell" the edges... Any questions drop me a line... Rob Wagle

Re-posted the pic's-No more click and wait...

Greenlee puch to cut holes in electrical boxes and homemade die to "Bell" the edges of the punched hole

Insert die into hole and squeeze in the vise

Repeat as often as desired

Finished part on car

Comment

Re: How to make a racey-looking part... "One more way to skin a cat"

I was up seeing Wayne Jesel one day and his partner was selling a set of Greely punches and a set of flangers... From 1/2" to 2 1/2"... forget how many but around 11 or 12 of them... It was dirt cheap... like 1/3 price or something... still a couple hundred bucks... but you can make stuff just like this...

I love that you made the bells on a lathe... I've made one for Duez fasteners...

K

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

VERY NICE!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

looks very professional and race ready

Comment

much better than most 'racey-looking' parts.

(i.e.)

i used those punches as an electrician. never thought about using 'em to accent my metalwork.
              you deserve a lightbulb!

Comment

very creative

Comment

[quote=Mr.WFO ]

(i.e.)

dont you mean ricey looking LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.WFO

(i.e.)
                    Dammmm it!!! I was really wanting to replace the rear spoiler on my Olds with one of those.

Comment

Good job and great idea while still low buck. 2 thumbs up!

Comment

Working...
                      X