Antifreeze eating gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifreeze eating gaskets

Antifreeze eating intake gaskets. Has anyone had this problem with Ford W motor with large ports? The antifreeze softens the gasket material around the water port on each end of the manifold. These are the Fel-Pro gaskets and the clamp load on the intake bolts also weakens. Thanks Doug in big ditch

Re: Antifreeze eating gaskets

I've had the ones on my 5.8 in the 'Stang for years with no problem. It has Edelbrock Performers and a Trick-Flow intake. I put the gaskets in dry. The car sits a LOT.

Sorry I can't shed any light.
    Dan

Comment

I have the same problem with a 418ci W I built. It was fine all summer but at the end of the year we noticed anti-freeze under the car. The intake bolts seemed to be loose so we tightened them but it didn't seem to help.

Edelbrock heads and intake.

I hope someone has a solution to this.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Other than the use of gasket cement, on the cylinder head side of the gaskets, I don't do anything special and personally I have found no issues such as you've outlined. It could be from heat cycling, as you stated the bolts were loose. I usually periodically re-torque intake gaskets on my W motors, especially if it has an aluminum intake.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Comment

You might want to try some "Right Stuff" by Permatex/Loctite. Don't get carried away with it, but a light skim coat on both gasket surfaces would probably cure the seepage. I NEVER use RTV anymore, if RTV will work, Right Stuff works better. 8)

Comment

what kind of gaskets are they? FelPro makes more than one type, I think.

Retorquing bolts every now and then is a good idea, regardless.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is on a friends GT 40. It is not a daily driver so it sits around some. It seems the antifreeze softens up the gasket, then the clamping pressure squeezes the gasket over into the intake port. By re-torquing all you will do is squeeze it into the intake port more. That was how he found it was a problem, looking down the injection port he could see the gasket coming in from the coolent port side. Never did leak coolent on the ground or into the motor that we know.
              Rick, You are correct about the right stuff. By far the best! Doug in big ditch

Comment

What kind of gasket is it? does it have a metal core, or is it just a paper type? does it have the sealant bead around the coolant passage?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Right Stuff is veryvery good but if you use it to seal up the ends of a s.b.c. intake when you go to remove the intake you better eat your wheaties that morning. that shit is so strong i have had to use a 3 foot pry bar to get it loose. not knocking the stuff as i have used it for many of years and countless builds Bob

Comment

I have found that Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals work much better on GT-40 or late model Ford heads with Edelbrock intakes. Better than Felpros. And I'm a fan of Felpro. I use Permatex aircraft sealer on the back (lightly applied) to stick them to the head and nothing on the intake side. Some of the Felpros are cut in such a way that later model Ford heads with the larger water ports in the head don't seal very well. Too little gasket in some areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbowtie
                      Right Stuff is veryvery good but if you use it to seal up the ends of a s.b.c. intake when you go to remove the intake you better eat your wheaties that morning. ......
                      That's what they make razor knives for, ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Odom
                        This is on a friends GT 40. It is not a daily driver so it sits around some. It seems the antifreeze softens up the gasket, then the clamping pressure squeezes the gasket over into the intake port. By re-torquing all you will do is squeeze it into the intake port more. That was how he found it was a problem, looking down the injection port he could see the gasket coming in from the coolent port side. Never did leak coolent on the ground or into the motor that we know.
                        Rick, You are correct about the right stuff. By far the best! Doug in big ditch

Fel-Pro does make gaskets with embossed sealer around the water ports, have you thought of that?

Comment

As you can see from the picture, these are the best gaskets fel-pro makes as far as I know. This anti-freeze is NOT the orange crap but the good old green stuff. I know the orange crap will screw up gaskets. Seen that too many times. Doug in big ditch
                          Now if I can just figure out how to insert the picture LOL

Comment

Small block fords all loose TQ on intake bolts over time.

I think you should check the PH on you coolant, it will eat a gasket when it gets way off, between electrolysis and PH this is what eats most heater cores if it is run a ground wire from the inside of a hose and clamp it down to a ground bolt. For those that are nonbelievers put a volt meter in the coolant and to ground, for the PH you will need a strip most parts stores carry.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                            X