What engine for a '72 Chevy C10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    What do you use this truck for? If its just a truck TPI, If its a toy that you want to hot rod it some go with the LSx. So if are going to dump it whats it look like how much?
    Pretty much a slightly hot rodded truck. Not sure what I'd ask for it if I sold it, but I'm sort of leaning towards an LT1 if I do an engine swap. For some reason, they're easier to find here than TPI motors, and at about the same price.

Comment

LS swap seems a no brainer here. 4.8, 5.3, whatever. Simple upgrades make more power, they're more efficient than all the other suggestions, and even stock they make great power. Dirt cheap at a salvage yard too.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        LS swap seems a no brainer here. 4.8, 5.3, whatever. Simple upgrades make more power, they're more efficient than all the other suggestions, and even stock they make great power. Dirt cheap at a salvage yard too.
        Smells of project creep,
        engine, well now I need a trans that bolts up, shorten driveshaft, new mounts, electric fan ,etc.
        not sure what his plans are, but at that point, it's a full blown build not a motor swap.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
          Smells of project creep,
          engine, well now I need a trans that bolts up, shorten driveshaft, new mounts, electric fan ,etc.
          not sure what his plans are, but at that point, it's a full blown build not a motor swap.
          You don't need a new trans to install an LS, but if he plans on using it like a work truck from time to time (towing, etc), upgrading to a 4l80e would be useful, or an overdrive trans anyways if he plans on driving it long distances.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah, the advantage the LT1 has is that it is (except for the wiring and fuel delivery) very close to a direct bolt in with the existing mounts, transmission, exhaust, etc. The LSx would need a different exhaust, and while I could keep the transmission, it certainly would be tempting to get the LSx and its transmission as a set. Even with the stock transmission, though, there's likely to be a lot more little aftermarket swap items I'd need.

Comment

How much work are you willing to do?

I'm not that mechanical but I think motor mounts are easy, you know plenty of guys who might trade some tuning work for a quick fab job - that's 2 hours of work for the right person.

Shortening a driveshaft is hilariously easy, take it to your local Inland and have it done for $100ish

Electric fans? ROCKET SCIENCE OMG!

and don't tell me the wiring would really challenge you. Have Jerry fly me down for beers and pizza for an afternoon if it's really that much of a challenge!

Meanwhile, I wouldn't consider that a full build. If it seems like it, then perhaps what you need is to just trade up trucks to a reliable grocery getter with the right engine combo? (=LS)
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                How much work are you willing to do?

I'm not that mechanical but I think motor mounts are easy, you know plenty of guys who might trade some tuning work for a quick fab job - that's 2 hours of work for the right person.

Shortening a driveshaft is hilariously easy, take it to your local Inland and have it done for $100ish

Electric fans? ROCKET SCIENCE OMG!

and don't tell me the wiring would really challenge you. Have Jerry fly me down for beers and pizza for an afternoon if it's really that much of a challenge!

Meanwhile, I wouldn't consider that a full build. If it seems like it, then perhaps what you need is to just trade up trucks to a reliable grocery getter with the right engine combo? (=LS)
                there is a different of just an bolt in engine swap and a engine family change that requires you to rework everything.
                no one said it was hard. it just adds to the cost. it's easy to spend other peoples money.

driveshaft and new u joints, and carrier bearing if 2 piece shaft
                trans adapter and motor mounts
                electric fans and all the controls even junkyards charge for this stuff.
                coolant hoses, wiring, all the little nickel and dime crap.
                like I said, no idea what his plans are, the efi would be cake for him.
                old trucks wiring with efi will cause a headache as the wire that power the whole truck cab is way way undersized. now you are into a complete rewire.
                none of it is overly hard, but cost creep
                tho. a jeep grand cher 2004 electric fan is a bolt in to the truck shroud.

it all adds up.
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 18, 2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I'd already looked into LSx swaps; there's off the shelf kits for the motor mounts, cheap. Not sure about a flexplate for the large flywheel, but I suspect there's stuff out there too. About the only part of the swap that doesn't seem to be just a matter of finding the right aftermarket parts is going to be the exhaust. Here's what actually seems to be real sticking points on the list.

driveshaft and new u joints, and carrier bearing if 2 piece shaft
                  Not if I'm keeping the stock trans.

trans adapter and motor mounts
                  Something like around $150 at Summit, IIRC.

electric fans and all the controls even junkyards charge for this stuff.
                  Already got a set of electric fans sitting around that I bought for the Dart, and found it wouldn't fit.

coolant hoses, wiring, all the little nickel and dime crap.
                  True enough.

old trucks wiring with efi will cause a headache as the wire that power the whole truck cab is way way undersized. now you are into a complete rewire.
                  The plan is to use the donor engine's alternator and wire a separate EFI harness off it.

tho. a jeep grand cher 2004 electric fan is a bolt in to the truck shroud.

Interesting, although I can't recall if the truck still has the stock shroud.

As for how much work I'm willing to do for wiring, while I am looking to make this an easy project, that translates to, "I draw the line at common rail diesels and Ecoboosts." The plan here is some MegaSquirt variant and making my own harness.

But this is more of a trying to find a quick way to get this truck on the road and keep it on the road without siphoning off too much time from working on the Dart or other projects. At the same time, I want to pick up some drivability, performance, and fuel economy in the bargain.
                  Last edited by Matt Cramer; June 18, 2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

if you go to a one piece shaft, you'll be reworking the crossmember your long arms mount to. 3" tube will not fly stock
                    no idea what the going $ of a j/y lsx but here it's 800+ for low miles fully dressed
                    by the way that jeep fan is 59 bucks from mopar parts.com
                    I have one waiting on me.
                    mopar k car and clones on the drivers side strut tower have a nice bracket that holds 2 relays. I'm using 2 one for headlights 1 high 1 lowbeam to take that load off the cab wiring and the other for fan relay and fuel pump relay.
                    good luck

Comment

if you go to a one piece shaft, you'll be reworking the crossmember your long arms mount to. 3" tube will not fly stock
                      Huh? Why would he even need to tamper with the existing drive shaft if he is sticking with the OE transmission And Matt's wiring skills far exceed most I'm sure.
                      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 18, 2013, 01:04 PM.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

TPI setups are cheap when the wiring harness is missing.

Comment

That is a very cool idea - pardon the pun. Possibly run a stock fan AND that electric one, if in a vehicle that tows and has a/c.

Comment

Just to confirm, the truck does have an auto trans in it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
                              Just to confirm, the truck does have an auto trans in it now?
                              Yep, it's got a TH350.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                                That is a very cool idea - pardon the pun. Possibly run a stock fan AND that electric one, if in a vehicle that tows and has a/c.
                                works on a ton of g.m. cars . with same size fan

Comment

Working...
                                X