No announcement yet.

What engine for a '72 Chevy C10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, letsee about 50 years ago the average guy could make a 396 run, oh better than an LSwhatever. Shoot, let's use one of those... Can't see where you're at. Have one, will deliver...

Comment

Originally posted by ss427 View Post
      Well, letsee about 50 years ago the average guy could make a 396 run, oh better than an LSwhatever. Shoot, let's use one of those... Can't see where you're at. Have one, will deliver...

And they pulled the front tires right off the showroom floors, and ran nines in factory trim on those plastic tires, and... ;)
      Last edited by dieselgeek; June 19, 2013, 09:09 PM.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

If the truck has a/c you want to keep you may have to get a custom set of hoses made. If you do decide to go with an "E" trans you will have to figure out a way to get a working speedometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
          If the truck has a/c you want to keep you may have to get a custom set of hoses made. If you do decide to go with an "E" trans you will have to figure out a way to get a working speedometer.
          Right now it has the evaporator under the dash but is missing the condensor and compressor. I plan to eventually make it working again.

Comment

if this is a tow vehicle. I'd K.I.S.S.
            EFI is mostly simply for you. but lsx swap brings more to it than that, no stock parts are not a trip to napa away.
            if you go mpefi what fuelpump/tank you going to run..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
              if this is a tow vehicle. I'd K.I.S.S.
              It's more of an errand runner that I would like to have the option to tow with in a pinch.

if you go mpefi what fuelpump/tank you going to run..
              I need to measure the opening to make sure this will work, but the plan is to stick a Walbro F20000141, GSS342, or Aeromotive Stealth on the stock filler tube and drop it in the stock tank through the fuel sender opening. Backup plan is a floor mounted Walbro GSL392.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                It's more of an errand runner that I would like to have the option to tow with in a pinch.

I need to measure the opening to make sure this will work, but the plan is to stick a Walbro F20000141, GSS342, or Aeromotive Stealth on the stock filler tube and drop it in the stock tank through the fuel sender opening. Backup plan is a floor mounted Walbro GSL392.
                cab tank or blazer under bed tank?
                I was try'n to figure if I can install an intank on the sender unit, on mine, I have a blazer tank..

I have an extra in cab sender if you want one to cut up.
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 20, 2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Cab tank. I'm just not sure if the fuel pump fits in without cutting anything, but those Walbros are pretty skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                    Cab tank. I'm just not sure if the fuel pump fits in without cutting anything, but those Walbros are pretty skinny.
                    in your case it'll be lenth, as the sender is almost dead center of the side of the tank behind seat. tanks only 6" deep front wall to back.
                    and hole is 3" tops

Comment

the mention of Napa brings up a good point, GM and Napa arent going.to have hardly any parts for a 72 chevy v8 anymore.

thats another vote for an LS swap in my book. youre planning EFi anyhow so that part is a wash. youre looking at motor mounts, and I am sure there ks a kit available, we swapped an LS into a 3rd gen camaro in one evening using a cheap kit. If youre not up to that, then I think its time to consider a newer truck... LS swap was easy and I am not a great mechanic.
                      Last edited by dieselgeek; June 21, 2013, 05:14 AM.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                        the mention of Napa brings up a good point, GM and Napa arent going.to have hardly any parts for a 72 chevy v8 anymore.

thats another vote for an LS swap in my book. youre planning EFi anyhow so that part is a wash. youre looking at motor mounts, and I am sure there ks a kit available, we swapped an LS into a 3rd gen camaro in one evening using a cheap kit. If youre not up to that, then I think its time to consider a newer truck... LS swap was easy and I am not a great mechanic.
                        We must have better napa stores. lol
                        An ls swap is easy for you.. and I'm sure matt would have it down.. I'm thinking when I get to that point in my SS ,if ever it not be as easy as it be my first. But going on all the nickel and dime crap you run into going big block from small. I'd think(remember I don't know, only guessing) going to ls would do the same. My c-10 is getting a vortec crate because it was cheap and I'd rather spend the $$ on my SS. at the moment an 6.2ls from a catty or Camaro is 1500 here. how do you get around the d.o.d. or can you control that with non factory ecu. as even the newer truck 5.3 have it.

Comment

Looks like LSxs are the clear winner here. I'm searching for one now, and plan to start the swap in about one week.

Funny how this thread hasn't attracted our resident "Less" swap hater.
                          Last edited by Matt Cramer; June 21, 2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Must be on vacation, and you aren't swapping it into an F100 or such
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Must be on vacation, and you aren't swapping it into an F100 or such
                              A rusty old Chevy truck - with a cracked engine block to boot, so I can't rebuild the engine it's got - is probably about the hardest LSx swap to get offended about that there is! He may be having a hard time coming up with an objection.
                              Last edited by Matt Cramer; June 21, 2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

HT383, Performer Air Gap, 650 holley, 212* intake ish cam, 1 5/8 long tubes, OD trans and 4.10's.

Tow truck.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X