What engine for a '72 Chevy C10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What engine for a '72 Chevy C10?

Ok, so jury rigging a starter repair doesn't last, and it doesn't seem to me that a Goodwrench crate 350 motor is particularly worth saving the block on. While I have half a mind to cut my losses and sell the truck as-is, the other half is to swap in something newer and injected. (Pulling the motor to put an identical one back in it just doesn't seem right.) But what motor? I'd want EFI, am not particularly concerned about wiring, but want something that doesn't take too much fabrication to swap. And would still be a perfectly good truck motor.

Here's what I have been thinking:

TPI - fairly cheap, and often called the best truck motor never put in a truck.

LT1 - Hmmm, it's not much more expensive than a TPI, and still keeps the stock motor mounts...

5.3 or 6.0 LSX - Looks like it would take a bit more parts, and a bit more expense, to swap it in.

8.1 Vortec - With its LS1 style ignition, and symmetrical port heads stuck on a regular BBC casting, it may be something of a Rat bastard. But it's not especially expensive, and a step up from a 350.

What would you do if you wanted to stick a new EFI motor in this truck on the cheap?

5.3-6.0 is my vote. Not sure how much more work it would take if you grab a whole engine and trans at the same time and just drop it in, fuel line and wire it and go.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Gen 3 Hemi 5.7
      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Turbocharged 292 straight six?
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

L31 Vortech

Comment

go with the 8.1... no idea why, just wanted to be the first to say it.
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
              Turbocharged 292 straight six?
              FTW
              or the vortec.
              1919.00 from jegs(free shipping) #12530283 all new 96-2000 vortec350
              9.4 to 1, roller cam 4 bolt
              set of ls3 v.springs from lingerfeller 68.00 + comp retainers 45.00 now vortec heads are good for .550 lift no machining. other than opening up the pushrod hole 2 drill sizes

ramjet cam if you use that, you might go a little crazier 168.00

with the ramjet cam and 1.6 rockers,carb and headers it's worth 330-340 hp.
              you and efi could get even more from it, drop the TPI on it. and make crazy ft lb
              engine is sickly cheap

the 292 turbo has cool written all over it. but would cost 3x the vortec350 and unless you plan on replacing that 12 bolt and shimming the long arms to get it to hook, any more power is up in smoke.

I'm in the middle of this swap, just drilled the pushrod holes, I used the ramjet cam as it was cheap and I'm poor at the moment, you can't build an engine for what they sell for, intake was 209.00 new, used are aval. I didn't find any online for a week so I got it new, a vortec TPI lower is 350 ish.
              the tested set of ls3 springs and retainers are cheap and I needed them as the ramjet with 1.6 rockers the exh side was .481 a tad close to the .480 max the factory set up's good for.
              people say they run that cam with factory springs do the .480 max must have some fudge factor.. I wasn't chancing it.
              a use intake and mpefi as that be old hat for you. would be easy enough. when I do it, it'll be a headache as it'll be first efi..

I sold a set of dart pro1's and a set of gta wheels and will pay for the total cost of swap just under 2600.00 total. could have left it alone and been like 2250.00
              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 17, 2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Matt, you're in SoCal?
                Last edited by Beagle; June 17, 2013, 05:44 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

440 mopar.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

8.1 ? no
                    mkIV would be a great choice
                    peanut port heads

Comment

If simplicity and economy are high on the list, I would do a TBI. They are fine truck motors and nobody wants them. Bolt in swap except for the wiring. Vortec motors make more power but I don't think they get any better mileage, and used ones are worth twice as much as a TBI.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                        If simplicity and economy are high on the list, I would do a TBI. They are fine truck motors and nobody wants them. Bolt in swap except for the wiring. Vortec motors make more power but I don't think they get any better mileage, and used ones are worth twice as much as a TBI.
                        use vortecs are 300.00 all day around here.

Comment

Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or even a Cadillac ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            Matt, you're in SoCal?
                            Georgia. Emissions rules are not a consideration here.

I'm mostly trying to do a quick and cheap motor swap, and try to pick up better practicality, economy, and power in the bargain. As interesting as a turbo / EFI 292 sounds, I'm trying to avoid a project on that scale.

Yes, the idea of a Gen 3 Hemi did cross my mind. So did putting a Jaguar V12 in it, because it seemed like taking one interesting engine swap and doing the exact opposite would be even more amusing - but that seemed like a little too much work. I'm thinking the best way to deal with this would be something simple and bolt in, so a Vortec 350 or a LT1 seem like leading contenders. Those should bolt right in and not even need to change the exhaust plumbing - it seems like the swap would, except the wiring and fuel system, be as simple as changing it out for another carbed smallblock.

Comment

What do you use this truck for? If its just a truck TPI, If its a toy that you want to hot rod it some go with the LSx. So if are going to dump it whats it look like how much?
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X