Plug wire routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug wire routing

I have a sbc with hooker super comp. header in a 78 chevy Malibu... the right side is easy to route and the left side 1&3 are easy to but 5&7 have a header pipe very close how you guys routing under or over the header have been routing over for year's using protected boots
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

I do this a lot for many years. I get the RPC #R6038X billet rail wire loom - they have different styles - they need to be modified for the SBC #'s 6 & 5 plug wires come out of the rails wrong. Those plugs 6&5 are in the same spot on the rails, i machine the slot further back about an 1.5" on the lower section of the rail and leave the top section alone. The top is the visible part. When you do it right the horrific plugs - 5 & 7 on one side and 6 & 8 on the other will have very short loop of exposed plug wire and won't get into headers. The rails work great for BBC without machining, when you see where they stub the wires out you'll see why i modify them.
    Every spring I used to replace burned sets of plug wires on hot rod sbc, since i started adding the rails i leave the plug wires and go thru the rest of the tuneup. I've got bunches of chevys with the same plug wires for 3-4 years.
    I use taylor spiropro 8mm as they have the smallest plug boot.
    The only one that has failed is a mid 80's corvette and that is because the headers were made wrong i think and we're going to have to pull the drivers' side header and give it a dink for clearance.
    A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Mine are over with Moroso's looms and 90* boots. You could also use AC Delco plugs because they have shorter ceramic ends, same length as Accels shorty plugs and much cheaper. Work better too. IMO. Use protective boots if necessary. I used to have them on 1 & 3 with my old Hookers.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I prefer running them under and up behind the heads. It's pretty easy to do with the engine on a stand, pretty hard with it in the car.

Comment

played with the car today checked the wires for resistance inspected for burns all is good and within spec... as far of changing plug man. I use ar 3932 with a 275hp nitrous hit so this tune up has been working a few years and seem safe so im staying with it... but I don't like the wire lay out or the header's... thanks for the replys
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
            I have a sbc with hooker super comp. header in a 78 chevy Malibu... the right side is easy to route and the left side 1&3 are easy to but 5&7 have a header pipe very close how you guys routing under or over the header have been routing over for year's using protected boots

i route my wires over the Valve cover on my SBC in my 72 camaro and i use Accel 8.8 wires with 90deg boots .I'm also running older style Hedman Huslr 1-7/8th dia long tubes that fit both standard and angle plug heads .I've got plenty of clearance between the spark plug boots and header tubes

Last edited by oldschoolcamaro; June 27, 2013, 08:28 PM.
            "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
              I prefer running them under and up behind the heads.
              That's what I like to do on small blocks. Vettes used this setup thru 82, so you can get HEI wires for that application if you want 8mm wires.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
              X