4th Generation LS1 Camaro Alternator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4th Generation LS1 Camaro Alternator problems

Well so far so good, the alternator that I had them put in there is still alive and kicking. So I'm really thinking that the dealer just got a bad batch of rebuilds.

Also what do you guys think of this, my alternator has an air duct to cool the regulator. Here's a pic.

What do you guys think about me running a flex tube from the duct on the alternator to the front air dam, so that air would be forced into the alternator.

Comment

Bad idea, too much chance of water or other things making it into the alternator. Electronics are picky about that kind of thing. Sure they make it in but ducting will just shepard it to the most critical spot.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

"Also what do you guys think of this, my alternator has an air duct to cool the regulator."

Is the fan on the back, inside the black housing, sucking the air in ?

Comment

Ok a little update on the alternator sitch. Basically the alternator I gave them has lasted up until about a week ago or so, when I replaced it with a new one. And it was still alive in kicking when I pulled it out. So far the new one isn't skipping a beat either and I haven't been to nice to it. ;) Also I haven't tried to fix the problem since it seems the problem was not with my car but with the alternators that I was getting from the dealer. I have a feeling the regulator wasn't compatible with my computer and it was shorting the regulators out. Basically they were using cheap regulators.

But even with this new alternator I just put in the volts drop with the A/C on at idle. Basically the A/C system is putting a big draw on the alternator when in gear and at idle, since when I turn the A/C off the volts pop back up over 13. But here's the kicker, and lets see what you guys think, I also just replace my radiator with an all aluminum two core radiator, and while doing that I replaced both fan motors, since one of them had a light scraping noise when I spun it. Anyway the weird thing was that even with a 160* thermostat, and the fans running on high my car would run about the coolest of 190-195*. I never questioned it with the stock radiator in it, but with this new two core I figured it'd run a lot cooler than that. So I got to thinking at how the condenser for the A/C sits in front of the radiator and how all the air is funneled up from the ground for cooling the radiator and condenser and figured it was probably full or dirt. So I pulled the condenser out today and sure enough it was packed full of crap. So I sprayed it all out with water and then took an air gun to it and cleaned it out really good. So after putting everything back together and charging the system back up, I found that the car was running around 175* and was cycling the fans on and off. Which when I was testing it in gear with the A/C on would allow the volts on the alternator to go back up every time the fans kicked off. So I think I found the problem with the amp draw at idle, before the fans ran all the time and couldn't cool the motor below 190 degrees which put a constant high amp draw on the alternator, which in turn caused the alternator to run hotter which decreases it's output. Then add the heat from the motor and 130+ degree heat off the ground and you can see why the alternator wasn't putting out much at idle. Now I think with the motor getting proper air flow across the radiator and being able to cool down the coolant to where the fans will cycle on and off, will allow the alternator to run cooler since it won't have such a high amp draw on it constantly and with the motor running at a cooler temp it should help there to.

Anyway looks like I'm up and running again, and hey don't forget to blow out your A/C condenser it could be making your car run hotter than it needs to be.

Comment

ARIZONA HEAT KILLS BATTERIES
            used to be for the LS1 there was no rebuilt Alternators , NEW ONLY
            since they are around 400 bucks , they may be selling you the cheap crap

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
              It's pretty weird that "factory guys" can't figure out a basic electrical problem, no matter what it ends up being.
              flat rate is your answer
              time is money , and in no guarantee arizona , a lot of parts get thrown at cars , especially customer pay ones like tc old timey camaro
              I get paid big hours under warranty to fix electrical problems , we can hardly charge old beaters the same time
              so they throw parts at it
              a lot of these bad alternators are bosch , denso and valeo sold as delphi

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                ARIZONA HEAT KILLS BATTERIES
                used to be for the LS1 there was no rebuilt Alternators , NEW ONLY
                since they are around 400 bucks , they may be selling you the cheap crap
                Working at both the GM dealership and Autozone in Southern California, we definately saw a spike in Battery sales/failures late May early June. Sooner if we got a heat wave.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

this has been an interesting thread!! keep us posted on how the new setup lasts. There's definitley some benefit to the problems you solved, or at least you'd think that'll help your electrical system. Good stuff TC.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The new alternator is holding up just fine. In fact yesterday I hammered it like 5 times right in a row through 1st gear messing around with this guy and the alternator is still kicking. Which is something which would have killed the GM alternators. Here's a little quote from some research that I've done.
                    Some of our customers have had problems with O.E. Delco surplus units they purchased that had substituted regulators installed that do not work in certain vehicle applications. For more information on this issue please see the APRA internet home page (http://www.apra.org) "Regulator Alert". This alert was posted by our friends at Northwest Regulator Supply, we strongly agree with their statement; "All installer and rebuilders should verify which voltage regulator was in the original vehicle for replacement."
                    Here's a link to the page.

This is the reason I don't think they where using the right regulators.

Comment

CADDY HIGH AMP ALTERNATORS NEEDED A TRIGGER VOLTAGE

Comment

yea i use to work for a toyota dealer down in Wilmington,N.C. , any alt we had to replace went directly across the street to a little alt and starter rebuild shop , and never had any problems. i doubt we ever sold a replacement toyota alt..lol

Comment

96 grand ams had that little duct , it hooked to the firewall

Comment

Hey just an update the alternator is still alive and kicking.

I love it when cars fix themselves. :

Comment

Working...
                            X