700R4 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 problems

I know from being on here for 5 years that there are some transmission experts out there and I need your help please . My S10 has an 700R4 thats got a lot of miles on her . When putting it into drive and reverse it is making a " clank " sound but not every time and the truck has a low speed vibration as well . I'm thinking the vibration is transmission related . I change the fluid once a year . I've replaced the motor mounts , trans mount and recently had the front end checked out , so the vibrations not coming from there . What are your thoughts guys ? Thanks

Not an expert by any means but, my opinion is free . Free to be heard or ignored. The clank and the vibration sound drive shaft related. More precisely, the u-joints.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

U-joints are solid , but thanks
      Last edited by langleylad; June 29, 2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

one more try. I've seen this once. The ring and pinion so worn that there is alot of slop or play in it. Take the shaft loose from the axle and run a pipe through the u-bolts, then have someone turn the axles back and forth. If not that then I think your right, it[s the trans. You'll need one of those experts to pipe up. Good luck.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

2.8 ?
          what year and motor , maybe losing the reaction sun gear

Comment

1988 with a 4.3

Comment

old truck ...time for overhaul

Comment

everything in this truck has been overhauled except the trans and dif . Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

the 2.8 700 did not last long with an 8 inch converter
                  how many miles ?
                  usually clank noise is worn ring and pinion causing a big spread in backlash
                  or worn diff pin hole

Comment

If the trans went south it'd drop gears, start slippin etc.
                    Sounds more like axle bearings, check for pinion & carrier slop..

Comment

over a 100,000 miles , the noise is coming from the trans

Comment

Maybe bearings, sun gear like Spidey said. Almost all the 700r's that failed on me lost gears/slipped before they died, just sayin..

Comment

reaction sun gear loses reverse

Comment

I would set the parking brake, put trans in neutral, grab the driveshaft and see how much it turns just to double check. Sounds like that can travel right up the driveshaft and sound like they're coming from the trans. I've had the spider gear cross shaft wear the hole in the carrier into a slot on those rearends and it makes a hell of a clank when you put it in gear.

Comment

You can put a plug in the output of the trans with the drive shaft out and
                              run the engine and trans... that would eliminate the rear end and drive shaft

Comment

Working...
                              X