power window ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power window ground

It's only been 24 years since I put power windows in a Chevrolet truck.

WTF is that blasted ground?

GM used a ready-made harness to install power windows in their truck cabs; the doors are slightly different (you have to drill a hole) but retrofitting the power windows isn't a bad job because the wiring is plug n play - other than the whole regulator install thing, that's a PITA ^2.

but does anyone or has anyone been dealing with GM stock power windows where they removed the wires and know where GM installed the ground? it's one ground for both windows....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 30, 2013, 02:03 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

It either leads back to a common ground or like a horn uses the actual motor as the ground when you bolt it on.

Comment

They 2 different systems with different wires - 4 or 5 wire if i recall. Some reversed the motor by switching the ground so it went right along with the 'travellers' wires and the 4wire(?) used common ground and the motors had 3 wire leads.
      It has been a couple years since i worked with the early systems.
      A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

you need section 8 of the service manual

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
          you need section 8 of the service manual
          Isn't that for the psychos??
          FKA Redragtop
          (formerly known as)

Comment

On some of the early Buicks we had to add a ground from the door structure to the jamb as the hinges made an unreliable ground. Not exactly on topic but you triggered a memory cell.

Dan

Comment

that was my very recent thought (as in, I just got up to the house to order a new motor, and saw your post - which was simultaneous with me doing a ground test), Dan. I went and tested that, the ground is fine. I had a new motor for the truck, so I replaced the passenger side window motor.... that was the issue. I think the issue with the driver's side motor is the new motor is junk. I've ordered a new motor.... hopefully that fixes it. In any case, it grounds through the case of the motor and onto the door - when I put the new motor on, I'll hit the back of the door frame, behind the bolts, with a bit of sandpaper to insure adequate ground.... crossing fingers.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 7, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

and it is fixed... 3 new motors later.

Comment

Ohhh mannn! I been without a driver side window functioning for a few years now.. Was "getting " around to it... But saw this.. Naw. Go without..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Ohhh mannn! I been without a driver side window functioning for a few years now.. Was "getting " around to it... But saw this.. Naw. Go without..
                    $26.00 to my door from Amazon.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Ford uses a good motor but a plastic drive setup that eats the drive pins. I replace them with oak dowel, little johnny needs to keep his face in the car when operating the windows. I have lived with a busted drivers side for years, but when the passenger side went out, I fixed it within a week. lol. I can handle the drivers side, grab window, lift. Passenger side? Not so much.

Pretty surprised with 3x on "new" motors... really? Is it that hard to test them before putting them in a box?
                      Last edited by Beagle; July 10, 2013, 05:24 PM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've had better luck with Rock Auto on this sort of stuff. I think they care about their reputation. Guessing they have their vendors perform QC and boot the ones that cause comebacks.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          I've had better luck with Rock Auto on this sort of stuff. I think they care about their reputation. Guessing they have their vendors perform QC and boot the ones that cause comebacks.

Dan
                          the prior motors came from Rockauto... but I have no idea where the box is for it, and I'm pretty sure it was at least a year from the date of purchase when I replaced the motor (I knew there was a problem, but didn't replace until I couldn't get the window to go up on a 30 degree day)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            $26.00 to my door from Amazon.com
                            Wow! I gotta shop online more!
                            Locally $220 for in tank fuelpump for wifey's Buick... Son got one for 70 with sock...
                            Now the motor..
                            Mine works.. About 1/4 inch at a time up or down.. Since it's up, it stays..

Comment

The window motors on my '86 gave me fits, and it got a lot worse when I replaced the window seals. Almost everything in the window system on those is fixed-as in non-adjustable-yet on mine there was a whole lot of things that didn't line up worth a damn and put the window in a bind as it moved up and down. I shimmed up some spots in the tracks and the regulators to try and correct it and it did help. I think if I hadn't it would have burned up another set of window motors before the seals loosened up.

Comment

Working...
                              X