Bigger heads, low rise intake, turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger heads, low rise intake, turbo

I have a single turbo sbc in an application that requires a low rise intake. It currently has a performer intake with a four barrel throttle body, on a set of double humps. It's time to let them go. I'm thinking of the Pro-filer 210cc 23 degree heads. Can you guys recommend a low rise intake for this application. I can weld up the intake to modify the ports if necessary.

Thanks,
    Kevin

mini ram from tpi specialties

Comment

Torker II comes to mind for lowest carb type. I think the turbo might like a single plane anyway.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I was kinda leaning towards the Torker II. The mini ram is probably the best idea but, i'm kinda stuck on 4 barrels right now and it's already plumbed for it. Eventually I plan on making a billet crossram, but that's a ways off. I don't have a problem losing some power to the intake for now. It's just an occasional driver that will never see the strip.

Thanks,
        Kevin

Comment

I ordered the 210 cc 2.08 valved heads today and a pretty clean looking Torker II for $65 on ebay. We'll see what has to be done on the intake to match it to the heads.

Kevin

Comment

My heads showed up yesterday. The Fel-Pro 1206 fits the heads almost perfectly. The intake is going to require some major surgery if I'm going to use it. It's upside down in this pic. I'm thinking I can just weld the bottom near the flange and port that side. The tops of the ports are going to have to be removed and the flange is going to have to be made taller. I'll mark it up and post some more pics before I start cutting.
            Attached Files

Comment

unless there is something not fitting at all, might consider that the port mismatch in that direction (intake small, port big) really shouldn't be that big a deal in a boosted application? The intake will be the choke point, boost will be higher than if everything was the same size is what I would expect to see, but you might have a little better low end with the smaller intake runners. I'd consider giving it a try since the porting all the way up the manifold is kind of a pain in the butt.
              Last edited by Beagle; September 4, 2013, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                unless there is something not fitting at all, might consider that the port mismatch in that direction (intake small, port big) really shouldn't be that big a deal in a boosted application? The intake will be the choke point, boost will be higher than if everything was the same size is what I would expect to see, but you might have a little better low end with the smaller intake runners. I'd consider giving it a try since the porting all the way up the manifold is kind of a pain in the butt.
                My thinking. Same reason why I didn't port match my intake with the upcoming turbo install I have in the future.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm not trying to wring every last bit out of it but I don't want to leave this much of a port mismatch. Here are the head ports drawn in blue. I'm thinking of cutting off the tops of the runners where I marked in red, but not through the flange, swing them up and add some height to the flange. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
                  Kevin
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you want to modify the intake to the point of building your own runner roof; go for it. It's not like it's a $1000 intake if you mess up.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

interesting... did you get a chance to check the height in the car?

Comment

Well...I'm a proponent of matching everything as well as you can. I realize the cheap and easy way is just to crutch it by blowing on it harder, but blowing on it harder means that the intake temp is higher, the air is less dense and you're leaving power on the table.

I make 2.14 hp & tq at the wheel on 9psi with that theory. Excellent intercooling and good fuel help a lot. And if I want more power, I've got plenty of head room to do it.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by ka67_72 View Post
                          I'm not trying to wring every last bit out of it but I don't want to leave this much of a port mismatch. Here are the head ports drawn in blue. I'm thinking of cutting off the tops of the runners where I marked in red, but not through the flange, swing them up and add some height to the flange. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
                          Kevin
                          It's your time, money, and effort, so do whatever makes you happy and keeps you out of trouble.

But if it were me, I'd just buy a more appropriate intake (i.e. bigger ports, taller flange). Life is too short to reinvent the wheel just because one apparently can.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                            It's your time, money, and effort, so do whatever makes you happy and keeps you out of trouble.

But if it were me, I'd just buy a more appropriate intake (i.e. bigger ports, taller flange). Life is too short to reinvent the wheel just because one apparently can.

I assume this is you banging your head against the wall. Ain't pioneering grand.

Sometimes we do these things for fun, if you don't have a deadline.
                            Last edited by Bob Holmes; September 4, 2013, 03:29 PM.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

I hope I don't look THAT WASTED . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X