Redline for a 350 SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline for a 350 SBC

What is a reasonable redline for a Chevy 350? I've got a 74 2-bolt main, stock crank, balanced assembly. I rebuilt it about 20 years ago and it still runs strong. I was full throttle the other day and it shifted into second at about 6,000 rpm. That seemed high to me.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Depending on what the rebuild consisted of, camshaft and head wise 6k might be a touch high. If it was still making power then you were probably fine.

Comment

May not hurt anything but depending on the cam/head combo you may be way over your powerband. I'd say that 700R4 may need a tweak to bring the WOT shift points down to 5000-5500rpm.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

If the cam and valve train got you to 6k without "nosing over"... then you're fine. You're not going to hurt - even a mild SBC with cast internals - by flashing it to 6k.
        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
          If the cam and valve train got you to 6k without "nosing over"... then you're fine. You're not going to hurt - even a mild SBC with cast internals - by flashing it to 6k.
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
            Agreed.
            As do I.. Have had the truck jump out of gear pulling heavy loads and flash to 6500-7000.. Too often. Itwas a borrowed motor and as far as I know it's still on the road..

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

mine is set up to run to 7600rpm
                "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
                  mine is set up to run to 7600rpm
                  Got ya by a few... 7,800 in the mill to the left. Thrice - on missed shifts - it's bounced off the 8,000 rev limiter. (Wouldn't suggest this unless you have a bullet proof bottom end, and the right valve train.)

; )
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

your valve float is what really decides redline, so you did a good job on the heads for a 20 year ago rebuild.

Also would check the trans and converter because those do alot more on controlling your redline than much else. Its not like you are flooring it in neutral, so a loose tranny will make you rev higher than you have to.

We've run 190 mph at 8900 rpms, next run the tranny let go.
                    Last edited by anotheridiot; July 25, 2013, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I turn mine 9200...

You can turn it as high as the valve springs will let you. Now is it making any power or are the rod bolts about to explode that's the really issue. Stock rod bolts at 6000 is getting up there.
                      Last edited by miketblsr; July 25, 2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

2 bolt with factory rod bolts and main bolts..
                        5500-5800 6500 if you like playing with fire

Comment

Originally posted by miketblsr View Post
                          I turn mine 9200...

You can turn it as high as the valve springs will let you. Now is it making any power or are the rod bolts about to explode that's the really issue. Stock rod bolts at 6000 is getting up there.
                          Need to qualify "stock rod bolts." There were plenty of bone-stock Gen 1 302/327/350s that didn't have exploding rod bolts at 6k rpm.
                          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Need to qualify "stock rod bolts." There were plenty of bone-stock Gen 1 302/327/350s that didn't have exploding rod bolts at 6k rpm.
                            oh those with "pink rods" with better than standard bolts

Comment

Sorry if you have pink rods, double hump heads and a 3/4 cam you can turn 8k all day long and it makes 600hp. It will pull the front wheels on the street and you cant crab a 100 dollar bill off the dash. Better!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X