Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.8 LS motor - replace the valve stem seals while it's out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.8 LS motor - replace the valve stem seals while it's out?

I've been planning to drop the motor in the truck today or tomorrow, but one guy suggested I change the rear main seal and valve stem seals while the motor was out. The reason for changing the rear main seal now is pretty obvious, so I took care of it. I'm less certain on the valve stem seals; the motor is somewhere around 60,000 miles, and they don't look like they'd be that much harder to change after installing the motor in the truck. The repair looks a bit time consuming either way, and I'm not sure it will be needed - what do you guys think? How prone to eating valve stem seals are these motors?

change them if you have a problem.. not any harder in the truck than out..

Comment

That's what I thought. Not much getting in the way when I have an engine bay that size.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
        That's what I thought. Not much getting in the way when I have an engine bay that size.
        remove hood and sit in bay

Comment

Still much easier to do on a engine stand. Wouldn't hurt to do it IMO.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
            Still much easier to do on a engine stand. Wouldn't hurt to do it IMO.
            THEN IT'S WELL I HAVE THE SPRINGS OFF, MIGHT AS WELL INSTALL LS9 SPRINGS (68 BUCKS +40 RETAINERS)
            and project creep is in full swing.. do it if needed.. at 40k miles it shouldn't need them

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
              THEN IT'S WELL I HAVE THE SPRINGS OFF, MIGHT AS WELL INSTALL LS9 SPRINGS (68 BUCKS +40 RETAINERS)
              and project creep is in full swing.. do it if needed.. at 40k miles it shouldn't need them
              Yes, that's the problem - I'd probably be tempted to put an LS6 cam in there too if I started opening up the engine...

Comment

Not sure I see the problem here.... cough forged rotating assembly.. cough cough
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

changing valvesprings are not a bad idea

Comment

Working...
                  X