4x4 Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Jack

What do you lifted 4x4 guys use for jacks for service work?

Need to do some work on my lifted '75 Dodge. The truck has trusses that go under the axles and it doesn't seem like I should be putting my floor jack under it. Plus, the pumpkin on the front is offset to one side (obviously).

So, how do you guys jack up your lifted 4x4's?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Doon't know where mine is.. But I had an extra saddle that I welded a 5X5 or 6X6 square tube on (1/4"wall) with welded beads to keep the tubes from sliding off..
    Saw one simular but he bolted his on instead of using the stud like I did..

Did the same on another saddle..hauling scrap, you get cool junk! But the 2nd one, I welded 2 plates in a V so it matches the PTO plates on the truck 4 speed..

Comment

depends... in my shop, on my lift
      In the field, hi-lift(s) and good jack stands

with a hi-lift.... I lift on the bumpers, rock rails, or use my wheel lift (it connects to the spokes)
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 6, 2013, 08:36 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have read things that say not to use a Hi Lift for doing things like working on the truck in the driveway because the jack is unstable. I would think it would be fine to lift the truck with the Hi Lift and put some jack stands under it, no?
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

2 man job... Unless you can keep it from flopping.. Saw one on a flat plate of 1/4X12X12.. He was able to do cars..

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16 View Post
            I have read things that say not to use a Hi Lift for doing things like working on the truck in the driveway because the jack is unstable. I would think it would be fine to lift the truck with the Hi Lift and put some jack stands under it, no?
            yes, but you really, really, really need to pay attention. Keep this one thought in mind, "when the car falls off the hi-lift, where will it land?" if the answer is "on you" find another way.

We also use jack pads for hi lift jacks - I'm high tech, I use a 2x12 that was a remnant from building my car trailer.

Comment

Mine had the front 4 link and a centered pun'kin....no issues jacking it with a floor jack. Though I would have to put a block of wood between to get it up higher sometimes. I would always use stands on both sides of the diff (front or back) even when working on just one side. More stable that way.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

with a lifted 4x4 there's no need to lift it any higher to work on as you've already got plenty of room underneath . Now if you're just going to remove a tire or do a brake job just lift from the axle using a piece of wood ontop of the saddle of the floorjack
                "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

I'm right there with SBG on the High Lift jack. Best investment a person can make that owns a 4X4 . Plus you can winch with them too. And having a dad that lived thru a car falling on him, you never want to rely on ANY jack if your under it I don't even trust just jack stands . When I have mine of the ground with jack stands and under it, I put cinder blocks under tires .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I wish I could just use my good old floor jack, but with the trusses under the axles it makes things tough.
                    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
                      with a lifted 4x4 there's no need to lift it any higher to work on as you've already got plenty of room underneath . Now if you're just going to remove a tire or do a brake job just lift from the axle using a piece of wood ontop of the saddle of the floorjack
                      right, unless you need to do a head swap on a BBC in a 3/4 ton Chev with 38s under it.... then you use your jack to remove the tires and set the axles on woodblocks on the ground so you don't have to climb up as high to remove the bits..... and if you're curious why I have the step winch bumper on Rescue Rig - now you know. Remove the tires, and it's just like climbing stairs
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 11, 2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X