Are Lap Belts Okay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Lap Belts Okay

I am planning on taking my car to the strip alot this coming up spring & summer. The car will most likely require me to wear a helmet, based on previous ET's the car has run.

My quest is to get into the low 11's and maybe dip my toe into the high tens. But I am not ready yet to put a cage in the car, I am trying to build the chassis in stages so I can pay for everything out of pocket and keep from running up credit cards.

The question I have is without a cage is there anything better than a lap belt that I can put in my car. I want to be safe and feel that a lap belt is not sufficient when approaching 100 MPH +.

I have researched on the internet about installing a 5 point harness without a cage and everything I have read says not to do it.

What are you guys that have cars that are slower than 11.50 running if you don't have a cage.

Lastly something I was kicking around in the empty space between my shoulders. Is when you put a cage in can you make the brack brace bar a bolt in bar. If you do not understand my description I am talking about the bar that the harness would bolt to. Just a question a couldnt find an answer to on the internet.

If the car came with lap belts from the factory, then ya they are ok. But under 11.50 you'll need to upgrade. Also 5 point harnesses are dated if it is to far past the date on the belts you have to replace them. As for the removable bar, that is what some guys with Corvettes do, though they are road racing.
    Last edited by BigAL; September 30, 2013, 09:43 AM.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I just got seats out of a chevy trailblazer that has 3 point belts as part of the seat.. might be an option until you get to the "stage" of a cage and 5 point.. just need to add reinforced mounting for the seat..

Comment

It matters where shoulder belts go..
        If they are mounted too high, you wedge up.
        If too low, may break your collarbone..
        They need to hold you to the seat when the car goes the wrong way..

Comment

The safest innovation of any car to date was the three point belts.

The NHRA are a weird bunch. You can use 60 year old lap belts until you have a roll cage, then any belts over 2 years old are not safe.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            The safest innovation of any car to date was the three point belts.

The NHRA are a weird bunch. You can use 60 year old lap belts until you have a roll cage, then any belts over 2 years old are not safe.
            same with dated helmits and suits ect it's all a money game, and why the NHRa is pricing themselves out of car counts

Comment

When you say cage, do you mean roll bar? Before I had to get a chassis cert to run in the nines, I had a bolt in cross bar in the cage (convertible) and passed tech numerous times.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                When you say cage, do you mean roll bar? Before I had to get a chassis cert to run in the nines, I had a bolt in cross bar in the cage (convertible) and passed tech numerous times.
                Whereas our division 5 tech guys say no to bolt in crossbars.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                  Yes I guess I should clarify....roll bar specifically a 6 point. Which is all that is required for 11.50....right?

Bam-thats kind of what I figured that some would let it pass and others would not. I guess when I go in the spring I can ask and see what kind of response I get from the tech guy.

I was not sure if there was a written rule in the book about bolt in crossbars.

Comment

NHRA rule book section 19 / 4:10:

"Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop."
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

SCTA/ECTA and NHRA are VERY different in bar/cage requirements (in LSR a well-engineered cage can be bolt-in with specific requirements) - but I can tell you a bit about belts. Factory belts are nylon and are tough as nails. They DO NOT stretch upon impact. Harnesses are made of several possible materials and are woven in such a way as to stretch slightly in a crash.

Here's where it gets weird - stock belts should only be used with factory-style seat as the seats can give a little. Harnesses should only be used with a racing type seat as the seat does not give so the belts need to. The total system has to have a little give to it so it'll cushion your impact into them but not so much as to allow you to kiss the dash or steering wheel.

I think the suggestion of changing to modern seats with integral shoulder belts is an excellent suggestion, though I'd check with your local tech official to be sure. NHRA should be able to hook you up with your Division guy.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; October 2, 2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

If you run quicker than 11.50 you will need a roll bar(and possibly side door bars) and you will need a dated lap belt and harness. You will also need a jacket.

Comment

Working...
                        X