Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (S//NP)MSD 6AL/BTM Points Trigger

Howdy,

I'm moving again on my Bonneville car after taking a break to get my Riviera mobile again.

It's an oddfire V6 and I've got a stock points distributor with the vacuum already locked out. I'll be running a 6AL/BTM for timing retard under boost. I've been planning on getting a Pertronix unit to run it but out of curiosity I looked up if you can run the MSD off of points and the answer seems to be yes.

Should I put a Pertronix kit on it?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Not if you are using the MSD box. It'd simply be redundant ignition modules.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Points set up as a trigger last longer than points in the conventional fashion - I had a friend who triggered his MSD that way for a while because it was what he had on hand - worked great for him, I think the pertronix would be a waste of money - I would think you could get a HEI distributor, or just the magnetic pick up, to put in your distributor - for a lot cheaper if the points don't work well for you.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You will not be able to use the MSD6/BTM in the SCTA Classic class.
        Last edited by Dynoroom; October 18, 2013, 01:14 PM.
        There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom View Post
          You will not be able to use the MSD6/BTM in the SCTA Classic class.
          Alternatives?

Is the plain BTM allowed in Classic?
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

No "computer" controls, or electronic controls of any engine systems.
            What I would do is run locked out total or find one of the older boost-retard distributor vacuum cans and spend some time on a distributor machine to taylor the curve I want. Really no big deal, it's how we use to do it before eletronics.
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

So it's the BTM that's the problem, not the 6AL part that's the problem.

I have been thinking about basically reversing a vacuum advance can like you were mentioning. The machine shop here in town does have an old Sun machine that I could set it up on. Need to find another distributor for the boost retard idea as the one I have has the vacuum already locked out.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
              X