Getting hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hook

With the winter here going to try and improve my 60'.. going to work on the rear suspension this is setup
    s10 leafs rancho shocks caltrac... the shocks are mounted on a angle from the frame outward to the spring bracket... will mounting them straight up and down help... the caltrac don't sit level they are in the top hole... can the springs be lower in the front and raised in the rear to set the caltrac level... also can the front spring bushing be drilled for a grease fitting... will be working the front to different shocks and checking what springs will work with cruising and track the control arms will be worked on to loosen up there movement... this is still a street truck so keep that in mind
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Need some pictures.
    A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Here are some pic.
      a7db1.jpg.html][/URL]

Comment

One of the best additions I made on my leaf spring car have been the Cal-Trac split mono leaf springs. Really helped make the system more responsive to adjustment and reduced the weight of the springs at the same time. I don't think you have much to gain from straightening the shock angle to more upright, I like that your lower mount is almost inside the wheel, it gives the shock a more isolated effect on each tire.

What exactly is the traction issue you are trying to solve? Hook then spin, spin at the hit, or..,?
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Look into a 'floater' assembly, the caltrack (?) is running in a different arc than your leaf spring causing a bind in the rear suspension. What is your pinion angle like?
          Do something about your carb, you are running way too rich.

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
            Look into a 'floater' assembly, the caltrack (?) is running in a different arc than your leaf spring causing a bind in the rear suspension. What is your pinion angle like?
            Do something about your carb, you are running way too rich.
            I was wondering about the bar set-up..
            I know on 4X4's the traction bar needs to be centered off the centerline of the axle, and the front mount needs to be as close to the spring eye. That way they are on the same arc..
            I would not know if traction bar set ups as the one being used are the same, common sense would seem so?

Comment

Cant remember pinion angle think I set it at 2 1/2* when I set I up... Yea the idle circuit is rich is hard to lean it out and still idle

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                Cant remember pinion angle think I set it at 2 1/2* when I set I up... Yea the idle circuit is rich is hard to lean it out and still idle
                Pinion pointing 'up' or 'down'? To get 'hook' you need to point the pinion down a little and disregard what the experts say about getting the front and rear universals at the same angle to compliment each other. That theory works for street cars that want decades of universal life, it don't work in a car that wants some 60' times.
                The leaf spring goes straight up & down and keeps the rear fixed front to back; the single ladder bar travels in an arc, it wants to move the rear forward and backward. Scribble some drawings on a piece of paper and you'll see what i mean.
                The carb is probably 'idling' at a highish rpm and drawing fuel thru the main wells as well as the idle ckt, the motor needs that kind of rpm for different reasons usually because it can't breathe - cobbled up junk headers; shallow dualplane intake with big cam etc

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
                  Pinion pointing 'up' or 'down'? To get 'hook' you need to point the pinion down a little and disregard what the experts say about getting the front and rear universals at the same angle to compliment each other. That theory works for street cars that want decades of universal life, it don't work in a car that wants some 60' times.
                  The leaf spring goes straight up & down and keeps the rear fixed front to back; the single ladder bar travels in an arc, it wants to move the rear forward and backward. Scribble some drawings on a piece of paper and you'll see what i mean.
                  The carb is probably 'idling' at a highish rpm and drawing fuel thru the main wells as well as the idle ckt, the motor needs that kind of rpm for different reasons usually because it can't breathe - cobbled up junk headers; shallow dualplane intake with big cam etc
                  Leaf springs move the rear fore and aft that's why it has shackle or slider the spring get longer in compression as the spring straighten out

Comment

Is that a stock setup? Just going to my 67 camaro, both shocks were behind the axle, on the 68 they changed to one is in front and one is in back because of hook issues.. It looks like your spring bracket has shock mounts in front and back. Maybe moving one side to the front of the axle would help and not cost you anything at all.

Comment

Where's the bolt??

The Green Machine.
                      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Here are some more pic. mite help

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                          Where's the bolt??

theres and pin in there with clips look close

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                            theres and pin in there with clips look close
                            Ok as long as the pin is there, on mine they put a bolt in there to hold the pin.

Like this.
                            Last edited by BigAL; November 3, 2013, 10:45 AM.
                            The Green Machine.
                            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                              Ok as long as the pin is there, on mine they put a bolt in there to hold the pin.

Like this.
                              This is what I'm talking about.. Spring eye mount and bar are on same up/down plane..
                              On the 52's it looks like the bar is shorter..

Comment

Working...
                              X