Getting hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    This is what I'm talking about.. Spring eye mount and bar are on same up/down plane..
    On the 52's it looks like the bar is shorter..
    you shorten the bar to put preload on the spring that setup is adjusted
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

You lengthen the bar to preload it, if you get to far from a 90* angle you change the arc it swings in and the leverage can be changed
      Last edited by JeffMcKC; November 4, 2013, 11:24 AM.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I was always under the impression that that pin/bolt should be slightly "off" the spring when at rest/ride height?

Were they really intended to preload the suspension?

I thought they were predominately for stopping rear axle hop while still allowing full suspension function.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          I was always under the impression that that pin/bolt should be slightly "off" the spring when at rest/ride height?

Were they really intended to preload the suspension?

I thought they were predominately for stopping rear axle hop while still allowing full suspension function.
          In the instructions it says to adjust the pin so it touches the spring and then your suppose to put a 1/2 a turn of preload on it.
          Last edited by BigAL; November 5, 2013, 11:56 AM.
          The Green Machine.
          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
            You lengthen the bar to preload it, if you get to far from a 90* angle you change the arc it swings in and the leverage can be changed
            your right i screw up on that 220 221 what it takes

Comment

the caltracs arent caltracs i made them in the shop there a copy the main thing i was asking was the shocks but will take all help i can get

Comment

Great Movie but in this its a huge difference. Some cars like preload some don't. You will have to describe or Show Video because most peoples descriptions are wrong 95% of the time. To know what shock issues you might have. Binding on the spring is the largest issue with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                  Leaf springs move the rear fore and aft that's why it has shackle or slider the spring get longer in compression as the spring straighten out
                  You are right about the shackle, but the rear don't move forward or rearward. It stays in the 'same' (it'll probably shift/wiggle/worm a little) place and the shackle rolls around as the spring gets longer. If you had a shackle at each end then some shit could move forward or rearward, that'd probably give you a memorable ride.
                  A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

The fixed front half of the spring can be a issue to bind on the "lever" Do you have a solid front bushing and the rear shackles will bind even when left loose and greased till its dripping off, if a guy wants to look stock he can replace the rubber with turned down Black Plastic from E-bay and use a steel tube to keep it from clamping tight on the sides.
                    Last edited by JeffMcKC; November 6, 2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

The fixed front half of the spring can be a issue to bind on the "lever" Do you have a solid front bushing and the rear shackles will bind even when left loose and greased till its dripping off, if a guy wants to look stock he can replace the rubber with turned down Black Plastic from E-bay and use a steel tube to keep it from clamping tight on the sides.
                      when I built the cal trac I turn down a piece of aluminum for the front i copy caltrac set up the back are ebay shackles for a 67-72 chevy 1/2 ton... what if i use a set of slider for the rear or will the shackle reworked be better

Comment

I much prefer the slider but mount it with a lot of slide to the front and a small amount to the back, if the comp on the shock is tighter, and it hits a bump and it happens to bottom out no big deal, but if it limits out to the front side from extension it will unhook the car on launch. Speedway has them priced right
                        Last edited by JeffMcKC; November 6, 2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I much prefer the slider but mount it with a lot of slide to the front and a small amount to the back, if the comp on the shock is tighter, and it hits a bump and it happens to bottom out no big deal, but if it limits out to the front side from extension it will unhook the car on launch. Speedway has them priced right
                          Who's slider do you like to use... will the ride cruising be the same it is my street rod

Comment

Speedway's

You should not notice any difference if the shock is the same and it does not bottom out. I like to make a plate and bolt it to the plate so it can be shimmed and moved if needed.

Comment

why not move the lower shock plates from left to right and the right to left
                              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                              X