chassis dyno question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chassis dyno question.

Lower down nitrous hits cause a higher torque rating, the torque will drop as the rpms rise as hp rises, Thats why I won't hit the juice until about 5000, yeah there is torque there down low, but it is very destructive. The exhaust gas speed has not reached its blow down synchronicity. When they cross at 5250, the torque multiplies the hp with the juice. I don't like "low hitting" because the engine is not at its optimum conditions for this. 750-800 lbs ft at 5250 and 1000-1100 at 6800-7200 is a handful. It might look good on the chassis dyno to hit it at 3500 and see 1400 lbs ft, but if you do that at the strip and you are as busy a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, and don't expect it do that for long. Hitting it at around 5000, and shifting at 7000 will unless something untoward happens is a much better "shooting" solution/ I have seen a whole season without doing more than hitting the lash as the ambient temp changes.

One more thing, exhaust capacity needs to be tailored to the 1000-1100 hp or you are in for trouble. Nitrous backfires on the big end are not much fun when the bottom end decides it wants to go downward. :D

Comment

[quote=DanStokes ]
      I wrote an article that was published in HR in September 2000. Maybe David and/or Jerry Pitt can weigh in as to whether I can scan it in and post it on CarJunkies

What was the article title?

I doubt we can post here, but...

Comment

That's my article. I asked some time ago if we could post it, but neither Jerry nor David responded. I can snail mail Xeroxes of it to anyone who asks - I guess that would be OK. At the risk of bragging - pretty good article, no?

Also, if anyone has any specific "How a Dyno Works" questions, I'll be happy to answer them. If I don't have the answers, I'll hook up with folks who do.

Later
        Dan

Comment

Oops - missed your question about the title. It was "Say What?".

Comment

Working...
          X