Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Talk #79 – Are Burnouts Abusing Your Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Months back there was another discussion here about the proper technique during a burnout - as I recall, shifting to second gear as quickly as possible, then letting of the throttle softly and rolling out of the water box was the recommendation.... do I have that right?

The violent sounds of Lutz and Larson's cars on the limiters at the starting line is something that must be experienced to believe, it literally sounds like a large caliber gun fight.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Interesting article, My burnouts are at a some what higher RPM just off my high side chip and every time I pull the motor down and look things over they look good, My machinist tell me to keep doing what I am doing. I think what he is trying to say is no quick loading of the motor and drive train.

Comment

I agree 73fish - sounds like it's really tire shake and the violent impact loads associated with it that damage parts.

Comment

It's not just the loading that will damage parts. Run an engine off an MSD-style rev limiter for too much time, loaded or unloaded, and things break. The most obvious example were guys I new that maintained the ZZ383 crate engines for a Nascar driving school - they first tried rev limiter chips as speed controls, people would drive WOT around the track on the limiter. Pretty much all the engines lived a shortened live with broken or warped valves, and other hurt parts.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

We have rev limiters on our cars.. Not set.. Both kids are smart and in control of their emotions altho I have heard the son's motor really scream on a hard run...

Our reasoning is a rev limiter removes a cylinder or shorts the ignition.. Or however... That cannot be good with a hefty car then making an impact bouncing off the limiter.. Since derby cars run straight up exhaust, i know 2 guys bouncing off their limiters often in the arena.. I may not hear it but I can see it out the exhaust.. A limiter bouncer's exhaust pulses. Not smooth..not unlike an old steam train smoke stack.. A good runner will have smooth flow out the stacks

Comment

good to know - I use the limiter as a failsafe to keep from over speeding the machine, not as a launch consistency tool anyway.

Comment

I use a 2 step launch control for consistent leaves with no ill effect. However, last time out at the track I somehow managed to shift into neutral on the 2-3 shift at WOT which bounced th motor off the upper rev limiter for a bit. Broke 3 rocker arms with that bit of brain fart.

Comment

Working...
                X