Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Talk #79 – Are Burnouts Abusing Your Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Talk #79 – Are Burnouts Abusing Your Engine?

By David Reher, Reher-Morrison Racing Engines “How a drag racing engine is treated during burnouts has a lot to do with its long-term reliability.” In my recent back-page columns, I&#82…

That is informative. Not sure I understand the grab part. Do you let off the gas push in the clutch while the tires are still spinning as you roll out of the water box? I don't want them to still be wet.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

two step burnouts sound like shit too. Thankfully, since I don't have an engine designed to run 2 minutes before teardown, I don't really have this problem.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Not only can doing a burnout the wrong way hurts the motor .... it can hurt Auto transmissions too ...
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
          Not only can doing a burnout the wrong way hurts the motor .... it can hurt Auto transmissions too ...
          Freiburger mentioned that about his Bee once in some rambling about living with a trans brake on the street in a car that was too fast to be considered slow but too slow to be considered fast

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
            That is informative. Not sure I understand the grab part. Do you let off the gas push in the clutch while the tires are still spinning as you roll out of the water box? I don't want them to still be wet.
            Just before the chirp. Sounds like they are saying the proper burnout is the driver off the loud pedal while the tires are still spinning. Its alot of common sense and feel. Just figure, your motor and tranny is not at operating temp after sitting in the staging lanes waiting, so sure you risk damage.

Comment

For the stick guys,Red Roberts from McCleod has been saying the same for years. He want you off the throttle and clutch in just as the tires hook coming out of the water, power off.
              Of course his concern is the back loading on the clutch with the low static spring pressures of drag clutches.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                Just before the chirp. Sounds like they are saying the proper burnout is the driver off the loud pedal while the tires are still spinning. Its alot of common sense and feel. Just figure, your motor and tranny is not at operating temp after sitting in the staging lanes waiting, so sure you risk damage.
                aside from the shock and this making good sense, I had the feeling he was talking about Bruce Allen's pro stock motor as much as anything. They warm up the rear and trans the last time I looked in the pits. I'm pretty sure I don't want to see the valve spring harmonics on my street engine or I'd be afraid to drive it.

Comment

I also confirmed what I thought about prolonged use of the r.p.m. limiter. I always hated to hear motors bouncing off those things most the way down the track.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Who cares? Let it rip! Long burnouts at stupid rpm are what brings people to thier feet!
                    Of course it is hard on the engine, if that bothers you you'd best take up golf or bass fishing! I wish they'd let us do the test launch again. Twice the fun.
                    A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
                      Who cares? Let it rip! Long burnouts at stupid rpm are what brings people to thier feet!
                      Of course it is hard on the engine, if that bothers you you'd best take up golf or bass fishing! I wish they'd let us do the test launch again. Twice the fun.
                      Would you like to sponsor my car?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Well, bass boat engines cost more than my race car. Now what?!

Comment

I always thought the guys using a 2 step for their burnout were just lazy.

Any gearhead worth his salt should know holding it on the limiter is hard on parts.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                            I always thought the guys using a 2 step for their burnout were just lazy.

Any gearhead worth his salt should know holding it on the limiter is hard on parts.
                            just the sound makes me cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              just the sound makes me cringe.
                              I agree, though I found on my Skylark, using the MSD 2-step spark cut and messing with the fuel table that I could get the engine to sound somewhat normal at 2,500rpm, pedal to the floor. The 2-step was tied to the clutch pedal's neutral safety switch, though every time I used it in 2011 (I didn't use it in 2012) it just blew the tires off at the line launching. It didn't seem to cause any hesitation of the engine according to the datalogs. As soon as the clutch came up and the 2-step was released the rpm's would just rocket up. I'm sure the clutch pedal was still somewhat engaged when the 2-step was shut off allowing the engine rpm to creap a bit before full clutch engagement, but that little creep allowed full fueling to return before the clutch tightened up.

I intended to use it again, but never got around to wiring in the MegaSquirt's 2 step limiter and launch control when I removed the MSD box.
                              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 11, 2013, 09:24 AM.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X