alternator guru ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator guru ?

I am upgrading an ld subaru to modern soonenough, but I have built my own original hitachi (the 40 year old bleeding pussing open diode design) several times, and am going for one last time.. for the gipper. whatever the old saying.

I did some measuring with the multi and the new diodes do the same thing, but 1 minute faster. Still surge suppresses, ends up around 12ohm for some reason...just like the old one.

what will this do for amperage or volt regulate?
    I got new brushes and a regulator on the way.. will spark up this one last version before the upgrade to a modern alt.

the old diodes are in the center of photo. This one is a 1990, unrebuilt.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 22, 2013, 08:16 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I answered my own question I guess.
    the alternator in video was one I wanted in my subaru, its a big one.
    10si or 12si ..etc
    changing the diode trio makes better lights (charge) at idle.
    The minute long measurement on the original is from day one, not just old.

so there ya have it.. I got some modern stuff going on.

Now how to do the resistor like the delco in this video..
    I got that one peg resistor, does nothing, no destination.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

might be something helpful in here?

is there possible bad wiring that could be burning up the alt?

Comment

thanks for reply, it was the "diode trio", failed testing. primitive old alternator.

I added some texas intruments silicon rectifier diodes.Waiting on new volt regulator, brushes, and case and bearings..

nothing left to replace.

this is only to last a few weeks, I found a 1994 model, next generation..alot smarter...but curiosity has me.

the old volt reg was in that jelly goop, and the diodes were antique, or too small acting as a kicker. all that is updated today, transistors within, modern measure of micronic stuff. Amazing to think 20 something years, no diode swap, or volt reg.. tough old alternator.

I upped diodes to real rectifier, the load cap is 96v, 5watt .. very inefficient alternator, may as well go for least resistance to gain a little more with very nice diodes.

quite a learning experience, tore into one of these at least 5 times. Antique...
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
        X