4 Speed Behind Roots Blown SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Speed Behind Roots Blown SBC

Ladies and gents. I just picked up a 57 with the help of a couple of B.S.er's. It currently has a 396 and Muncie in it. I am going to put a fairly stout roots blown small block in it and am thinking I will leave it a four speed. My questions are what trans will handle the horsepower/torque and what clutch should I be looking at. I'm thinking a Super T10 or Jerico is the answer, but would an M22 or other Muncie hang? This will primarily be street driver car, but will see a little action on the strip. Also what can I expect to pay for the trans? I have a line on a Tex Racing T10, but don't know anything about them or if the price is fair.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1Y; January 13, 2014, 07:40 PM.

How stout?? I would think the Super T-j10 would handle quite a bit........depends on the build.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Motor should be 750ish

Comment

Something with a good scatter shield. So the feet don't get fragged by exploding clutch material.....When we do a 7000rpm side step............ Bad ass.....

Comment

Scatter shield without a doubt

Comment

I tend to think toward the safe side.....one pass, or a hundred, you need a tranny that will take the HP. Scatter shield is a given, and I'd talk to the transmission builders....they should have the experience to tell you what you need. Sounds like fun!
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

I can't wait to see it with the small block, I hope you can get the passenger side valve cover off with the small block once it's installed, because when i looked at it, I noticed they knotched the firewall for clearance for the valve cover on the passenger side for the big block. I even asked the guy can you even get that valve cover off? I figured there's probably enough wiggle room to get it off, but it sure did look tight. Congrats on the purchase, it's definitely a cool car!!!
              Last edited by BigAL; January 13, 2014, 08:14 PM.
              The Green Machine.
              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

A friend has been running the same M22 in his 66 chevelle since the 60s...and it's had a blown 427 in it for quite a few years.

Your results may vary.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  A friend has been running the same M22 in his 66 chevelle since the 60s...and it's had a blown 427 in it for quite a few years.

Your results may vary.
                  That is an expert opinion.......or rather, expert experience speaking. You can take it to the bank imho.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                    I can't wait to see it with the small block, I hope you can get the passenger side valve cover off with the small block once it's installed, because when i looked at it, I noticed they knotched the firewall for clearance for the valve cover on the passenger side for the big block. I even asked the guy can you even get that valve cover off? I figured there's probably enough wiggle room to get it off, but it sure did look tight. Congrats on the purchase, it's definitely a cool car!!!
                    If I would have only known you had something to do with this car.......

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay View Post
                      If I would have only known you had something to do with this car.......
                      He was kind enough to go inspect it and take detailed photos for me.

Comment

Cool. I'm sure that was pretty helpful.

Comment

I would think clutch choice, tire selection, and driving style will be major factors in tranny life, maybe more so than HP.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            I would think clutch choice, tire selection, and driving style will be major factors in tranny life, maybe more so than HP.
                            Clutch choice is up in the air still, tires will most likely be M/T drag radials. I'm sure the driving style will vary, but there will no doubt be spirited side steps and various burnouts.

Comment

I found out that Drag radials can brake parts the 12th pass <---- that car made on DRs snapped an axle on the line after a 4k rpm clutch drop. I have less than half the power you will be making. Buy good parts or cheap tires if you are going to drive like a Hoon

Maybe a clutch that does not grab real hard will save you? Did you see the thread about the hill billy clutch slipper.

I have heard guys getting take out NASCAR trannies that maybe a good choice
                              Last edited by Russell; January 14, 2014, 09:31 AM.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X