Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodge LX platform brake upgrade recommendations? Magnum started squeaking last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge LX platform brake upgrade recommendations? Magnum started squeaking last night

Wow....my "new" '05 Dodge Magnum has hit 92,000 miles and its probably time for new rotors, instead of just new pads.

These cars didn't have the most reassuring feel to the brake pedal, even when new. I have to say that it feels only slightly more uninspiring today then it did with 38 miles on it.

They are adequate, but not anything to comment positively about. Does that make sense?

So I am having thoughts of "while I'm at it, I might as well..." we all know how that goes.

So anyone have any experience with upgrading these LX platform brakes a bit? I don't need Peewee-esque road course brakes, but something a bit more confident feeling would be nice.....
    Last edited by STINEY; January 16, 2014, 11:19 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

maybe just try a better pad first..
    the oem's stopped using aggressive pads when consumers started to complain that the brakes only lasted 30k

Comment

Not really interested in just popping some parts store rotors and pad......thinking of something a little wilder than that.

Okay, so I really am wanting to play with the Wagon a bit! Its outta warranty now.

Comment

the question is, Is it the hardware or is it the way the ABS is set up and programed. ?? exp. the g.m. trucks with Kelsey hayes abs , and the later years with same hardware but different abs system.. braking is night and day..

Comment

I'm fairly certain its the hardware. I'm not talking that the vehicle is taking braking away from me (I drive it daily in the snow/ice, and I play with it in that environment, so I am familiar with it taking braking AND throttle away from me)

It is normal day to day stopping that is less than awe-inspiring. Quite wimpy in fact. Adequate is all you can say about it....kind of like stock FOX mustang brakes.

Comment

what is the swept area of the brakes? are the wagons larger than the other lx platform cars? as iirc it's a lot heavier than the coupes

Comment

4200 pounds on certified scales. All the LX cars are real close...lots of extra stuff on them.

Swept area? Pad covers 99% of the rotor, very little not used.

Comment

Might check here. http://www.stoptech.com/

Comment

Summit has part# k2893. Rotors and pads for $400+. Didn't really find anything at stop tech, thanks for the link though.

Comment

I find a good waffle stomper boot out the door works real good for extra braking...

Comment

Get top shelf Raybestos rotors, and Akebono pads with stainless hardware, call it a day..

Rotors: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1896

Pads: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1684

Comment

i recently baught a AWD mag wagon and have done more than a little reading over at the lxforums.com.
                        members over there seem to agree that unless you want aftermarket "big brake kit" type stuff the BR8 police/pursuit brake package upgrade is the best bang for buck ratio. it will fit the factory spare tire, and will work on all lx cars too, nut just chargers. basically the AWD cars come standard with and RWD RT cars had a performance brake package option which added the larger police sized rotors to the front from the factory. but the rear is where the fun starts,
                        the police package uses the stock rear caliper, but a different caliper bracket/hanger to enable SIGNIFICANTLY larger, and i mean like as big or slightly bigger than the fronts!, rotors to be used which increases rear brake power and moves some of the bias to the rear. if your have ever driven an lx car in the snow u will appreciate that last part...
                        i read this was developed to prevent rotors from warping in cop cars by evening the brake bias and for all the weight they add to the trunk/ rear of cruisers these days.

police caliper bracket mopar part# 5175065AB
                        fancy police spec rear rotors mopar part# 4779438AE

there are police spec pads but i dont have the part number, probably any slightly high perf. pad would make the differance but i know very little about differant types of pads,
                        there are only a few online mopar parts websites that are selling the cali bracket, or you could try your luck at the stealership...

im in the same boat as OP with some crusty old original OEM brakes that need attention,
                        i replaced my fronts with some premium napa rotors and napa ceramic pads, the seem good.
                        i am currantly gathering parts for this police rear brake upgrade.
                        best of luck with your mag,
                        and seriously consider checking out the lxforums.com forums - stupid amounts of information on these LX dodges.

Comment

Actual install covered in this link. http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...18-wheels-swap

2.5 years latere - - Yeah, I move slow, lol!

Comment

I work at AutoZone and there are big brake upgrade options for the 6.1 liter police package Magnum and charger. Regardless of what engine you have the conversion parts will still bolt up as long as you get all the pieces. The Police Package comes with four piston Brembo calipers remanufactured by A1 Cardone, you will also have to get the larger rotors and the taller caliper bracket and of course new pads.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-12-11-23-15-46-1.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	1183272
                            Attached Files

Comment

The calipers from Summit also have a $60 core charge I do not know if they pay for shipping the cores back to them and how long that reimbursement takes

Comment

Working...
                              X