No announcement yet.

1966 Bel Air trans swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV cable is very easy to adjust. There are many places on the net that have the instructions.

Flexplates came in two sizes 153 tooth and 168. The first is about 121/2" in diameter and the latter around 14" . The easiest, least headache way to change it, is to get one that has same teeth as your current one. 1988 Camaro's with 5.7's came both ways. Most parts stores can either.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

raising this thread from the dead. since I got my mustang all wrapped up for now, I am going to get started here on the wagon very quickly. I am going to pull the trans out, what can I use to support the engine so its not hanging off the motor mounts and putting stress on the block? I was thinking about getting some 2x4s and building a brace to wedge under the back of the oil pan to support the engine, or would I be better off supporting it with the jack with a wood block under it? or should I get a chain, bolt it to the back of the head and run a 2x4 across the fenders. (id pad it of course)

the trans will be out of it pretty much only as long as it take for me to measure/order a new flexplate for the 700r4 torque converter and to get it all together.

I am going to attempt to get it up on some blocks tomorrow or wednesday
      Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

I use my smaller floor jack and a 4x4.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

floor jack and lumber usually work. And the thing that will be stressed, is the exhaust system.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thanks guy, I'll have to dig my crappy old craftsman jack out of the spider infested corner of the garage. lol.

I was over at my buddies house the other day, seeing the 355 that he is building for his G-body cutlass is getting me inspired. That engine is going to be pretty slick. its got a nice cam in it, Dart heads, a nice intake and a 750 carb. best part is the G-body its going into looks like grandma's car. tho he isnt too keen on keeping the stock rims with the wire hubcaps. its going to be backed by a turbo400 and eventually a 9inch
            Last edited by Shelty; May 21, 2014, 01:25 PM.
            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Working...
            X