• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    oh that makes it easy! thanks for correcting me
    team effort, it wasn't screws either
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

OK - there's a number on the trunk lock "tongue" the part that sticks out of the back of the tumbler.

its either 8098
      or
      if read upside down (or right side up?) its 8608

hmmmm. I have read through some of Jim's fantastic locksmith instructions, will see if I can get anywhere.

what are the chances NPD has a trunk lock that's the same code, and the trunk matches the doors?
      I don't get that lucky - but I'm going to try.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The locksmiths around here can make you a key just by taking them the lock cylinder, I did it for a boat I had that I didn't have keys for.
        The Green Machine.
        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
          The locksmiths around here can make you a key just by taking them the lock cylinder, I did it for a boat I had that I didn't have keys for.
          yeah, they'd like that better than the way I did... took them the whole car on a trailer. lol. I watched him for about 10 minutes, it's just time consuming. He spent probably 20 minutes making the key. 90.00 an hour ain't bad, it's something I considered looking into but I don't seem to have the deft touch for picking locks. Maybe it's a practice thing.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have the trunk lock out - will talk to some locksmiths, if I can get a key made for it and it matches the doors, I'm home free. Swapping the ignition switch wouldn't be the end of the world. Nor would having 3 keys if worse comes to worse.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              I have the trunk lock out - will talk to some locksmiths, if I can get a key made for it and it matches the doors, I'm home free. Swapping the ignition switch wouldn't be the end of the world. Nor would having 3 keys if worse comes to worse.
              The last time I was in Michigan, you didn't need a replacement lock, you needed a replacement window. Thieves carried a "Bump Brick" instead of a "Bump Key"... I can see how the locksmiths would only be worried about Lexus electronic keys and modern junk. I'm sure it's gotten better since 1995. (Where's the :S Face when you need it?)

Good deal on the trunk lock, hope you get lucky with it!
              Last edited by Beagle; January 30, 2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Now the buyer is talking about having "his locksmith" take care of the keys when the car gets out there - so he wants it on a transport truck unlocked? doesn't sound like a good plan.

Comment

It's not like locking those old cars will keep thieves out of them
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That is one of the things I did for the white mustang, new keys. I don't know how many other keysets are out there for it. Like a new house, always rekeyed immediately... so I get it. Jim is right, you can't keep a serious thief out of anything they really want.

Comment

Someone say unlocked car? Watch out for Dirty Mike.

I just watched "The Other Guys" last weekend and couldn't resist. I agree with Squirrel, locks don't mean crap except maybe a broken window.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

good points - he's the buyer - he wants it unlocked unlocked it shall be - just as long as the funds are in the account and clear before it leaves my driveway - the rest of the journey is his problem.

Comment

I just figured if I was on the buying end of the deal that they would tell me I bought the car and the title, not the keys.

As long as its not a deal breaker and you cant sell the car, its his property when the transporter gets it so you document everything when it goes on the trailer and take pictures of how you gave it to them. Those transporters are in a cattle moving business, get them on get them off and yeah, he was probably planning to change keys anyway.

Comment

High Jack: what kind of fund transfer are you going to accept, to make sure its not a bum money order / cashers check / wire?

I have only taken one check for a car I sold and it was from a Dealer. I was not happy when HIS bank would not cash it, They did exchange it for a cashers check. Its been over a year but knock on wood it did not bounce.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

History making post first from my new nexus5 which I am liking a lot. The funds transfer will be buyer depositing cash into an account we specify at his local chase branch...since its cash the funds should be available and "clear" in our account the same day...then we send him title and copies of keys
                              Attached Files

Comment

Grandma's best friend's son who was between me and my mom in age bought a Tempest convert brand new in 63 or 64.. He told his mom to NEVER lock the doors as anybody wanting in will cut the top..

Comment

Working...
                                X