54 chevy car locks lost keys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 chevy car locks lost keys!

Guys - we might finally have a buyer for the 54 belair, and I'll be damned if I can find the keys. I think our 4 year old walked off with them, I've looked everywhere, even pulled the back seat out to get into the trunk... no luck.

There's an NPD right up the road from me, but the earliest lock sets they have for GM are 64 chevelle - it LOOKS like the IGN SW and Trunk locks would work in our 54, but not the door locks.

There's a guy on ebay "minnesota mike" that says he'll make keys for you based on the numbers stamped on the tumblers or some such.

I'm not too excited about taking the door handles apart to swap out the door locks (they're in the push button on the door handle)

I THINK the car was set up with the ign key being one, and the door / trunk being the other key - but I used the trunk so seldom and the keys looked the same - I can't be sure.

Any suggestions?

national chevy has door locks for $70

NPD 64 chevelle ign sw is $12, and I think trunk is $17 - but then I'd have three keys - not the end of the world I suppose.
    There's always something new to learn.

Have you checked under the front seat?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've checked everywhere - been lost for a few months - wasn't an issue until this guy calls out of the blue and may have a shipper here in a week or so to pick the car up (I'm not jumping until I see money clear in the account)

looking has turned up nothing - it's time to replace
      (remember we moved about a year ago - even in that process - we can't find either set)

I haven't lost a set of keys in forever - it had to be these, now. ugh.

Comment

Take it to a locksmith. I paid 30.00 to have an ignition key made for my Mustang. More if they come out, but they can imprint a key pretty easily. Hopefully it doesn't have a steering wheel lock and you can get it on the trailer easier or pay the extra and have them come out.

Oh - unless you have PATS and then it's about 200.00 ... HA!
        Last edited by Beagle; January 29, 2014, 10:10 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Have you checked his diaper? Oh wait, he's out of them by now.......hmmm.....

When Will was much younger, he mysteriously made a piece of our fancy new bathtub disappear. Questioned him for hours, only answer to where is it was "Gone Dad.".

I'm still looking for "Gone", its been 8 years. Took the ductwork apart, behind baseboards, down toilet. Still looking....

I needed blanks for a '61 Beetle, no commercial business has them, period. Found a guy on TheSamba who bought out some really old locksmiths inventory and carved himself out a niche rekeying locks, and making keys for locks, even rekeying so ign and doors/glovebox use same key.

Bought blanks from him and filed them down myself with a jewelers file to fit my tumblers. They are out there, just hard to find sometimes.

Good luck!

(If I were 4 years old, I'd put those keys in the front chest pocket of my bib-overalls. Does he have bib overalls?)
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Talked to a few locksmiths - most don't have ANY single sided blanks anymore - let alone early GM blanks, and if I got the blanks (available on ebay and elsewhere) they weren't too interested in messing with an old car. I have one more place to call that "still does the old ones" we'll see.
            May be easiest but cost a lot more than just replacing them.

Thanks Stiney - that makes me feel a bit better - unfortunately - Lee hates bib overalls, even the Lee brand ones. Pitty.

I am going to talk to this Minnesota Mike fella - if he can make me a key based on the trunk tumbler number - and it happens to work the doors - I'd be home free - swapping out the ignition tumbler shouldn't be THAT hard - especially if the '64 chevelle piece from NPD works, at $12 - it minimizes the pain.

If I don't have to pay $70 plus shipping for new door handle lock sets, then spend the time to pull the interior door panels off to take apart the door to swap them... I'd be relieved.
            Last edited by milner351; January 29, 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

you can imprint your own if you can find keys... blue the blank and use a pair of vice grips and wiggle it back and forth. That's how they did my Mustang key a couple years ago. On the 65 Falcon, I got a cylinder from Oreilly (?!! REALLY?) and just replaced it. It's not a column key is it?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

huh....the local Ace hardware has B10 key blanks, I had a couple duplicate keys made a couple weeks ago.

I usually just make my own keys. door and ignition should be the same, take out a door lock, find the number, and make a key for it

http://selectric.org/manuals/locks/index.html
                Last edited by squirrel; January 29, 2014, 10:31 AM.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim for the win on his own website even!
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Jim!
                    I see the how to on the ign sw, but not the doors?

If I want the "newer" Gm one sided key (rectangle head, round head combo for ign / doors)

I can get them locally - if I want the old school GM keys - smaller with the smaller round head - it's 'net only.

I'm leaning for newer keys, and done... hopefully the car will be gone soon and I won't have to worry about the keys being "wrong"
                    Last edited by milner351; January 29, 2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

ignition and doors are the same, trunk is different (presuming it's different, some are all the same).

Take the door handle off (it's a screw in the door jam), and the trunk latch off and take it to your local locksmith with keys from Ace
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        I've checked everywhere - been lost for a few months - wasn't an issue until this guy calls out of the blue and may have a shipper here in a week or so to pick the car up (I'm not jumping until I see money clear in the account)

looking has turned up nothing - it's time to replace
                        (remember we moved about a year ago - even in that process - we can't find either set)

I haven't lost a set of keys in forever - it had to be these, now. ugh.

i'm not religious but this usually works, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Take the door handle off (it's a screw in the door jam), and the trunk latch off and take it to your local locksmith with keys from Ace
                          door handles on those are held in with two screws from the inside, you have to remove the door panel to get at them. Same handle that's on my late 50s pickups.

1948 was the last of the set screw door handles on chevy cars
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            door handles on those are held in with two screws from the inside, you have to remove the door panel to get at them. Same handle that's on my late 50s pickups.

1948 was the last of the set screw door handles on chevy cars
                            Correction, it's a sliding plate not a screw.... (ignore post #2)

Hey Guys, I have searched the forum a few times but have come up empty. Can anyone help me out on how to remove these outside handles so I can...

it really is clever how them come off - not so clever if it's rusted solid

they look like this on the inside
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	831097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	875959
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 29, 2014, 03:56 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

oh that makes it easy! thanks for correcting me
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X