A different drag radial question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigal View Post
    mark the tires for the rear are 295/65r15's they are m/t et streets. They are 30" tall.
    looking at my 86 i don't see how..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
      looking at my 86 i don't see how..
      There are LOTS of racers in NHRA and IHRA stock classes that run 30" tall tires on these cars.
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I think the 165r15's that everyone used to run are about 24" tall, so a 26" tire ought to look fine... if looks are what you're after.

Back in the old foot-braking days, we used front tire diameter as a means to getting a good reaction time once we found our "spot" on the tree - and fine tuned it with tire pressure.

I still have 165r15's on the front of the Chevelle - and now that it's a street car again, I don't like how small they are in contrast to the 275/60's on the rear. If I stick with 15" rims, I'll probably go with a 235/60 on the front, so they're only a couple inches smaller than the rear tires.

Comment

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

They are only H rated for 130. I think my discount tire falkens are rated the same. I run a 195/65/15 and they are a touch under 26" tall.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

86 Monte SS with 7.10 Moroso tires 27.75 tall on 4.5" rims. Tall tire fills the large opening and visually works with the long nose. Had 26's on it and hated the look. This is a BBC car and the larger tire works better with the weight. Just my IMHO, thought a picture would help the discussion.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Monte new wheels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	876354

Comment

The frontrunners on that nice SS fill the wheel well nicely . . . and should have a beneficial rollout at the track. Thanks for posting the picture.

Comment

Yup big tire responds more to air pressure changes than a small one, a couple of PSI up or down makes a big difference in finding that sweet spot off the bottom yellow.

Comment

that monte is purfect! /wink/
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Sctrance View Post
                      86 Monte SS with 7.10 Moroso tires 27.75 tall on 4.5" rims. Tall tire fills the large opening and visually works with the long nose. Had 26's on it and hated the look. This is a BBC car and the larger tire works better with the weight. Just my IMHO, thought a picture would help the discussion.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]29169[/ATTACH]
                      Ya I like that, really dig the stance. Thanks for the pic helps a lot.
                      The Green Machine.
                      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

now I'm wondering if my SS was already lowered..

Comment

Its more about stance and how the tire wheel combination fills the fender wells IMHO. I ran 315/60/15's and 4.5"x26"/17's as race rubber and local cruise stuff last year. Hoosier drag radials and M&H bias ply front runners. That don't mix radial and bias plys stuff is nonsense in my experience. I have the 17' wheels to clear the big brakes when I have them on the front.

Longer drives 295/45/18's and 275/40/18's up front both Nitto NT05's. I have no idea what fits in your car, but more sidewall/height does equal more potential for hook with a longer contact patch.
                          Attached Files
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

wrong attachment. Car looks on tip toes due to rear separation and all the travel in the front. Stops fine at 9.80's, 142.
                            Attached Files
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                            X