A different drag radial question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different drag radial question

What do you guys that run drag radials run for a front tire. Also I plan on running a drag radial that is 30" tall, what would look better in the front a tire that is 26" tall or 28" tall? This is on the Monte SS.

The rears are going to be M/T ET Street's, but they don't make a radial front tire to go with them. So what do you think?
    Last edited by BigAL; February 10, 2014, 04:28 PM.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

28 will make it look like a 4x4. Do the 26.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Ordinary radials. MT offers a Sportsman S/R radial in a number of narrow sizes, up to 26" OD.

Comment

I want to see 30 on the back of this , and not be a pizza cutter..

Comment

So you plan to spend enough money and time to make 1000 HP and wont spend the dough and time tuning on the suspension to get it to hook on a 275/60 that you could run without a frame notch/backhalf tub? Whats your plan for rear suspension.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

he's asking about the fronts I think? 28's in the front are pretty tall, even for a MC.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              he's asking about the fronts I think? 28's in the front are pretty tall, even for a MC.
              Ya but he post that he's gonna run 30's in back.. not with any width he aint.. unless skyjackers are part of the plan.. I haven't lowered my 86 yet.. but the 215/65/15 is 25.8" tall sec width 8.7 and tread of about 7.5 depending on brand.. 295/50/15's fit if not lowered but they are 26" adding 2" to the sidewall and 4" total.. pushes the tire mighty high in the 1/4 and well without any upper movement/travel

Comment

Will a 275/60x17 (30 inch tire) fit in the rear? Maybe. It's not the question though. 28's will probably look pretty tall in the front. Hell, a 28" tire will look tall in the rear compared to the bagels you are describing. I had 235/60-15's on two of mine and they looked small.
                Last edited by Beagle; February 11, 2014, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Mark the tires for the rear are 295/65r15's they are M/T ET Streets. They are 30" tall.
                  The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    Ya I am asking about the fronts, and I think your right 28's on 15's in the front might be to much side wall, I just don't want to fronts looking to small in comparison to the rears. And what kind of width would be good in the front, 185, 195, 205, 215, 225?? They will also need to be speed rated at 150mph or more.
                    The Green Machine.

Comment

It depends on rim width.

If it's a pure drag car, you're probably going to run no more than a 5" wide rim on the front, which means a section width of ~ 185mm or, in the old LT sizing used by some drag tire manufacturers, 7.5 to 8.0 section width. (a narrower 3-4.5 inch wheel width would use a ~ 5.0 wide LT tire)

But if you're running a wider wheel on a dual purpose car, the section width needs to match up with the wheel width . . . e.g. 7" wide wheel . . . ~ 235mm section width . . . .

I strongly recommend getting advice from a racing tire/wheel dealer before spending any hard-earned coin.

Comment

Alex, I know the 225/60VR15 was a popular size a few years ago as it came as an OE size from Ford and BMW, but trying to find V-rated tires in a reasonably tall tire in the 185-215 width may be difficult.... lemme do some checking.
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                          Alex, I know the 225/60VR15 was a popular size a few years ago as it came as an OE size from Ford and BMW, but trying to find V-rated tires in a reasonably tall tire in the 185-215 width may be difficult.... lemme do some checking.
                          Thanks Ron.
                          The Green Machine.

Comment

A 195/65R15 is available in either V or Z rating at 24.5" diameter....
                            A 205/65R15 is available in a V rating @ 25.5" diameter....
                            A 215/60R15 is available in V or W(168mph) rating at 25.3" diameter....
                            A 225/60R15 is available in a V rating @ 25.6" diameter....

edit: all information gathered from www.tirerack.com
                            Last edited by Ron Ward; February 11, 2014, 06:06 PM.
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

i've been using regular radials up front with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X