leaf spring recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring recommendations

Ok all you ford v8 swap guys, I need a little advice on leaf spring replacement on a '1963 ford falcon, originally a 6 cylinder car with a 289 swapped in. I want a good sturdy feeling, but not something that will ride like a lumber wagon. Est. hp. is abut 300 ish with a c4 and mild kit.

what I did on my 64 Comet was just add another full leaf under the main leaf.

You can also copy the SuperStock Dodge trick of stacking leafs to the front,a half leaf on top with 4 leafs forward and 3 leafs back.
    On my FE Mustang I have 5 leafs forward,no spring rap so far.

Comment

Well, the issue is really about full replacement. The springs are original, at first it was ok for about a year and a half, but after honking on it so much the springs are so wupped. I can't even make it out of the driveway without scraping. The car has a lean to one side from hard launches, and no the unit body isn't twisted, just dead springs. I am wondering about spring rate and other assorted details I know not much about to replace both full sets.

Comment

Call Greg Luneak with Tri City Competition 1-760-630-9094. Greg puts together "Launcher" spring packages for just about everything with leaf springs. I know several stock and superstock racers who swear by his stuff.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

What Ron said^^^^^
          "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Another option is Eaton spring. They were or are a supplier to Ford. They ' re very much involve in the aftermarket for Mustangs.

What is the intended use?
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I used springs from mcveigh springs - they sell on ebay but have a spring shop in reality too - and know the older cars.
              I think they are in Central Michigan. Good service and quick shipping.

I got stock replacement falcon springs for a 63 V8 car. I didn't want it lowered. I like the ride height and they provide a good ride.

Remember the early falcons are 2" wide springs - the later cars went to wider springs like everything else had in the mid / late 60's lots of spring suppliers don't have the 2" material.

The springs I got were much less expensive than what the restoration catalogues charge.

They've gone up a bit since I bought mine - here you go:
              Last edited by milner351; February 17, 2014, 08:20 AM.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I called and talked to them and they recommended the 6 leaf ranchero springs. Ebay on the way

Comment

GREAT!

they were heavier than I thought - and they come in one big box - lift with your legs!
                  LOL

Comment

That weight issue is why I like the Cal-Trac style springs. The split mono-leaf is more tunable at purchase and works well for the drags and auto/x, road race and street. Half the weight of the multi-leafs I started with on the '71 Mustang. I wouldn't use multi-leafs again unless it was for a truck that needed to haul stuff. Technology has passed the old method by lightyears. Not sure about the 2" part.
                    Last edited by CDMBill; February 19, 2014, 01:54 PM.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

It's a street only application, not too concerned about weight with a 2200 lb. car, much weight has been lost to aluminum parts. I'd almost rather have the direct weight to the rear on this car, not sure how the stiff springs will differ with traction issues, may break loose much easier. The old 5 leaf springs were soooo wupped on they squatted hard, very difficult to get anything but traction.

Comment

I will be interested to hear how you like them.

I didn't have money in the budget for upgraded springs, the stock replacement springs were a good value (I didn't get ranchero springs with 6 leafs, just the stock sedan replacement spring which has 5 I think?)

I do have caltracs bars, but stock springs, stock replacement shocks - I needed to start somewhere, and cheap.

So far - with limited miles - I'm happy with the way the car rides, and sits. I think I may have to go with a lighter front coil spring in the M2 - I don't really know what's in there now - it came with the M2 front end as a package - and over all it sits OK.

Your front end is still stock yes? Do you have stock front coils?

The car sits low in the rear in your avatar - hopefully it doesn't go full on stink bug with the 6 leafs LOL

Comment

I still have the original coils from the 6 cylinder days in it, I may have to replace them too, but i will stick with the same variety. I'll be happy as long as the cutoffs stop scraping everything
                          Last edited by gearhed1971; February 20, 2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X