air filter sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air filter sizes

I am thinking about changing air filter units on my 406 sb chevy. (it matches my valve covers better) I currently am running a 14x3 unit and am considering a 6x2.5 unit. My friend says going that much smaller will affect the overall tune of the engine and probably a power loss. I am thinking that the only thing that would be affected would be how often I would need to change the filter. Someone told me that one of the magazines ran a test on just this subject. Do any of you know where I could find that article? What are you folks's opinion on this? I know the old standard line has been bigger is better, but I have talked to several knowledgeable people on this and they don't necessarily agree completely with that. Thanks.

Re: air filter sizes

Car Craft did this one:

I know there's another test out there, I just ran across this one while looking for a different one.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Hmm, this is the article I was looking for, it's a lot smaller than I thought....

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I know that running a ten inch that came with a car I bought; I was buying a hell of lot more filters than the 14 inch I had on the previous cars. I'm pretty sure a 6 inch would be even worse.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X