Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM 200R4 or 700R4 surviving behind blower motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM 200R4 or 700R4 surviving behind blower motor?

I think I read that article and that's why I called ptsextreme as that was the company that supplied parts. Price wise, I look at it this way - $2K makes sense to have something that is a 4 speed auto including overdrive. Anything over that jsut seems too much for what the result will be. I have a performance 727 in it and that cost me $500, done by a reputable guy. Of course I wouldn't trust the 727 with a blown stroker with stickey tires (it will at least need to get a billet drum), but I figure that I would not have to spend more than $2k on a bullet proof 727. If I can get a 200R4 that will withstand the same abuse but will have 4 speeds instead of three - I'm all for that. If it costs so much more - not worth it. As for powerglide? I feel we're drifting away from the intent of the question - I want more speeds not less. ;D Race cars are race cars. This is not a question about race cars...why would someone with a race car even think of an OD? If I built a race car (which I never will) why would I choose the least aerodynamic vehicle on earth?
    Having OD increases the practicality of a vehicle, especialy in So-Cal, where cruising speeds are around 75 and up.

Comment

heh...I was just suggesting a use for your adapter, besides OD.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hey Ran, sorry I missed your thread. Like Bill said, I've been in engine build mode trying to get ready for the dyno on Tuesday. Hav'nt spent any time in front of the computer at all.

Bruce at PTS is where I bought all of my current internals. I see that you found him and the "Strengthening the 200-4R" article. That's always the first thing I tell people to read.
        Art Carr built my trans origionally back in '93. He can still do a fine job with the OD trans, but does things a little more old school than Bruce. Since '93 I've done a few upgrades to correct issues as the car went faster. The biggest was the deep aluminum pan and the bottom feed 700-R4 filter. You probably read about that in the CC article. I ran mid elevens for quite a few years with all of the stock hard parts inside the trans. The main upgrades were the 10 vane pump kit (and proper clearances), boost valves and pressure regulator, billet intermadiate servo and the wide Alto band. It was'nt until '05 that I stepped up to the billet internals and the full roller package that Bruce offers.
        You can get away with quite a bit before you need to buy hard parts.

Here's the bottom line. If your going to do a 200, have the right guy build it. If you want Art to do it go here. http://www.cpttransmission.com/ Don't use any of the other "Art Carr trans" offshoot companies.
        If you want Bruce to do it, call him back and set it up. He also has other "Bruce approved" builders that use his parts and follow his methods. He can send you to someone more in your area.

If the overdrive is really what you want then go for it. It's been the best thing for my car. Maybee I've had some luck over the years, but it's been a great piece and never left me stranded (knock on wood!!!!!!).

Comment

Brian,
          Thanks a lot for your help and advice, it's good to hear from someone who has experience with something that works.
          Good luck with the dyno session,
          Ran

Comment

I have been running a 700 behind a 402 big block roller and had no problems with it.But i did spend about 1600 getting the right guts for the job.Good luck
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Working...
            X