Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What type of Nitrous Controller?

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    I'm going to have to side with Keith, I've wired a few different progressive controllers, and home-built another, and what I found was that it's difficult to get consistent behavior out of the solenoids, most of which weren't originally designed for pulsewidth modulated use.

Keith and David had an interesting problem with one on the LSR car; won't stay on long enough!! PWM control makes a lot of heat in a small electronics package, likely the issue is overtemp or thermal protection in the unit itself...

however, back to the problems we had, especially with a wet shot, getting the enrichments to stay consistent during the run was difficult.

*make sure* you are running some kind of wideband AFR datalogging so you can keep the fuel/air mix in check!!!

IMO, a good way to bring in power slowly is one of MSD's ignition solutions. Lots of the faster SSO and outlaw 10.5 cars run it with success and consistency, now on an LSR car the delayed timing thing presents other problems (EGTs) but for drag racing with a blower or nitrous, I think ignition control is easier to use.

-scott

Thanks Scott. I have the F.A.S.T. A/F ratio monitor on it now with dual wideband sensors. It has data logging incorporated into it.

Comment

You will NEED some type of progressive unit if you even want a chance with limited traction, believe me.. If your trying to go "old school" your just playing with yourself. Others WILL have controllers and they are gonna stomp you, plane and simple. Love them or hate them, they are a valid tool to drop ET's. I tried doing the Pump Gas Drags w/o a controller, stopped at Gainsville on the way up to Memphis to test w/ the drag radials, didn't take me but one pass to realize that w/o a way to control the nitrous I would be fodder.

When I got to Memphis we found an NOS controller w/ the help of a buddy at Comp Cams, put it on in the parking lot of the motel, went to the track to test on Fri., after a few passes to feel things out I was a top three car, went on Sat. and qualified #1 and finished runner-up.. Keep in mind, ALL of this was done with a car that had NEVER been on a drag radial, NEVER had a progressive unit in it, and completely new suspension on all four corners, only thing the same on the car was the paint! I guess all in all it wasn't a bad weekend. Get yourself a progressive unit and learn how to use it. The new NOS unit is a sweet part based on all my buddy Monte Smith has said about it, he works for NOS as an outside rep/tech, and works on some of the fastest drag radial cars and some very quick nitrous Pro Mods, I would take his word..

Comment

My experience has differed. If you get the bottle temp right, and you drive it like a machine, a traction limited vehicle will like the manual method.

I was racing NOS back in the late '70s early '80's with a 4-speed, and what I've seen even now is not very compelling. It isn't that I don't trust the electronics, but bottle pressure, a staller in the other lane getting you heated up to set the tree really factor in. That why I feel better having control over the button, and a pressure light if it drops under 850 lbs on the bottle. I am sure you are successful with your setup, your ETS do the talking. But I have had very consistent results through the years, nothing as fast as yours, but I have had setups live a long time. I am open minded though, if you can set one up to run 5 rounds on a dial and take home the bacon along with a whole season on a set of bearings, I'm all ears. Tell me more about the Comp setup, I'd like to learn more.

Comment

Eddie I saw first hand how GOOD your nitrous setup works. I think you are spraying WAY more than I ever will. The thing is I will not be at the track every weekend racing, however I will be cruising the streets on the weekends in a legit 10 second land yacht without the spray. I don't want to do maintenance on this thing every two or three months. The Duster is a GREAT example of a system that works and has proven itself in the midst of a lot of B.S. I still have to wire up dual line locks with a two step, hook up the Nitrous, put on a set of 1.6 rockers, and find some lightweight front seats, oh and buy the wife something for Christmas!!

Comment

I have a new never installed Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind sitting on the shelf if anyone has an opinion on that or wants it let me know

Comment

I installed the basic NOS progressive controller #15835 (only two knobs to fiddle with) on the GTO before DW in '05. The car went three tenths quicker than it had ever gone before on the spray. Really simple and nothing to forget as far as how to use the thing. Just set your start percentage, and the time to ramp up to 100% and that's all.

The viton tip on the end of the plunger in the nitrous solenoid tends to take a beating from the pulsing as things ramp up, but there are teflon tipped plungers out there that will hold up much better.
              This particular controller is really a no brainer, and has been dead reliable on my car.

Here are some plunger shots that I had from a few years ago. It's a good idea to "kit" your solenoids every year or two, but frequent inspection is a must. Fuel can puddle in the lines and solenoids and eat things up too. Keeping the solenoids above the level of the plate helps the issue.

Comment

If you just need to delay the hit, use a Deadenber trans brake delay box
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

If you just want to "delay" the hit, you just don't hit the button right away! ;)

Comment

this stuff might work better no heat issues with this

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                      That's very interesting...gonna have to do some research on them myself...?????

Rickster

Comment

Working...
                      X