Transporting An Engine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting An Engine..

..Not via Freight, but from your home to the local dyno shop?

It's something I never wondered about until I now have to do it.

I have a 6x4ft box-trailer I borrowed off a friend. I fitted a new checker-plate floor and shs tubing to replace the rusted-out originals. I also fitted a jockey wheel and made a spare tire mount all as a thank you. (Yes.. I'm also going to paint it for him!)
    Anyway, I figured I'd chain down the warm-up-cradle I made using well.. chain, and turnbuckles to tighten it down. I fastened eye-nuts to the floor to hook the chain onto as well.
    It's real secure and beats sitting it in an old tire with a piece of rope!

So, how do you guys "normally" do it?
    I figure some of you guys do something like this all the time.

Re: Transporting An Engine..

What ever means possible ;)

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Harbor freight or the next worthless type place that sells Chinese junk... usually has an engine stand that allows it to be set on the floor..

There are the type that grab the side mounts and have 2 independant legs... so on and so forth... Let me give you a hint Steve... not many of us are as Absorbed in the question as you are.... we just move the junk...

You guys really need to know Steve... he's about as anal retentive as you get... lives in Australia and has a thing for this Camaro... and it is incredibly bitchen... he's done the full right hand drive conversion. Tonya and I stopped by his place last earlier in the year when we were down there trying to race the Camaro... the guy has Engine blocks in his Living room... Heads in the Dining room and car mag's everywhere else... ( it's all neat as a pin... )

K

Comment

ever see the pallets that GM crate motors are shipped on? they work real nice for hauling engines around. I'll see if I can get a picture of one when it gets warm out. You can make your own with a 2x8 and a 2x4 and some deck screws.

btw I really like that BBM picture of the wagon with the rear a/c unit, I spent many childhood years wishing ours actually worked.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I throw them in the back of the S10 on a homemade engine cradle made of stacked 2x4's all screwed together. The engine rests on the pan rails, and the sump is held off the floor. I just then use a couple of rachet straps to hold it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
            What ever means possible ;)
            Lucky you're a paramedic..
            Um.. don't hit the brakes too hard! :P

Comment

brakes are for pussy's... LOL

Hmmm

K

Comment

'Luckily' for me the wagon is equipped with an 'InstaFade' Brakesystem, so hard braking (on the highway) is out of the question. Call it a poormans ABS... ;D

As a matter of fact, during the trip home on the highway, an unnerving situation occured in front of me where a moron entered the highway in a crawl. This caused me to indeed slam the brakes as I was cruisin' along at 70mph in that same lane.
                I was kinda lucky I had the engine blocked and supported well, and put enough parts around it so it couldn't go anywhere anyway. That, and the fact that I had another lane to choose from helped a little aswell...
                Oh well, at least my heart, horn and middle finger got a good workout at the time... > :D
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have always preferred the old fashioned "tire method" personally. Oil pan sits in the center of the tire, a couple wood blocks and nylon straps to stabilize.

This is one of those cases where I believe simpler is better . . .

On another subject, I assume you are taking your engine to the Dyno Steve? Fill us in man -- what are the details / changes since you last had it in the car? ANy idea what kind of numbers it will put down?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                    ..Not via Freight, but from your home to the local dyno shop?

It's something I never wondered about until I now have to do it.

I have a 6x4ft box-trailer I borrowed off a friend. I fitted a new checker-plate floor and shs tubing to replace the rusted-out originals. I also fitted a jockey wheel and made a spare tire mount all as a thank you. (Yes.. I'm also going to paint it for him!)
                    Anyway, I figured I'd chain down the warm-up-cradle I made using well.. chain, and turnbuckles to tighten it down. I fastened eye-nuts to the floor to hook the chain onto as well.
                    It's real secure and beats sitting it in an old tire with a piece of rope!

So, how do you guys "normally" do it?
                    I figure some of you guys do something like this all the time.
                    i would love to see this going down the road behind a truck, or even better some little compact car

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                      On another subject, I assume you are taking your engine to the Dyno Steve? Fill us in man -- what are the details / changes since you last had it in the car? ANy idea what kind of numbers it will put down?
                      Yes it's booked in again a couple of days before Xmas. :D (Hopefully this date doesn't change again.)
                      (I had to cancel the first appointment months ago because of the oil pressure/roller lifter issue we spoke about on SpeedTalk. http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...ghlight=#54379 http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...ghlight=#54185 )

Since my claimed :P 521rwhp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WiS_o007Ew and guessing a typical 100-120hp went missing in-between the crank and wheels, the only changes to the engine is the solid roller cam (Crane 138101) to replace the solid flat tappet (Crane 134781), and for what it's worth, I match ported the intake to the heads. Everything else is the same.

I really don't need to dyno it at all. This whole exersize is to simply see what has gone missing through the drivetrain. -Something I was hoping HotRod's EveryTrick 454 was going to do for us. (hint hint, woops, too late)
                      Once the car is together, I will chassis dyno it with exactly the same tune up. There will be a handful of hp that will be lost or gained due to differing weather, but oh well.
                      I will also head to the track and run the same MPH that my Moroso Slide Rule predicts based on the Dynapack's rear wheel numbers. ;) :-* :D

I'm expecting flywheel numbers based on the previous 520rw plus the 60-80hp that Crane suggest over their flat tappet, plus the assumed drivetrain losses.

It's a number I'm sure we won't agree on Eric! ;D :-* :D
                      See all the effort I'm going through because of you? ;D

Comment

LMAO Steve -- don't do it just cause I gave you a hard time a couple years ago . . . LOL We both know I am right anyways :P

Seriously though, I hope all goes well for you. I'm predicting that if it is 525 at the rear wheels it will be about 625 at the flywheel and should run a 10.30 @ 128-130 MPH.

We should get a pool going.

Comment

I have always preferred the old fashioned "tire method" personally. Oil pan sits in the center of the tire, a couple wood blocks and nylon straps to stabilize.
                          +1 ... I picked up a 302 Ford shortblock a few weeks ago with my Ranger work demo. Conveniently had a soft sidewall Hankook OEM F-150 235/70R17 from the scrap tire pile to throw it in, oil pan fit nicely in the middle of that one. Didn't even have to secure it to anything, though in hindsight, if I crashed, it might have been an issue. :

cheers
                          Ed N.
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I'm really doing it to see what goes missing, more for my own curiosity..

..625 at the flywheel and should run a 10.30 @ 128-130 MPH.
                            When a stock ZZ502 runs 11.1 @ 122 in 3500lbs, I'll agree with you then. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                              When a stock ZZ502 runs 11.1 @ 122 in 3500lbs, I'll agree with you then. ;)
                              Geez, I'm gonna have to buy myself a ZZ502, shoehorn it into the Camaro, and go 11.1's aren't I? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X