Fuel Level Sending Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Level Sending Unit

Okay this isn't exactly rocket science like the single cylinder thread, but I could use some assistance. While doing some major rust repair on my heap a few weeks back we busted the ground wire while removing the tank. I'm looking for a picture of the offending connection and any advice or ideas on how to remedy my situation and re-ground the sending unit. While I wish my tank was really as full as my gauge tells me, I'd rather know how little I've actually got in the tank. Thanks in advance.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Re: Fuel Level Sending Unit

What year, make and model? The blazer?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yup the Blazer. '78 K5. 350 cid boat anchor.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Should ground to the frame rail.
        Clean it of all rust, down to bare metal,
        Solder the connection to an eyelet, secure it,
        then paint over it to seal it.

Comment

diddo, just make sure before you secure the tank fully that it regesters, those trucks can be finiky

Comment

Problem is I've got about 2.5" to work with above the tank and in doing this by myself today I'm really trying to avoid dropping it. Which is the reason I was looking for a picture of the connector so I can decide what yo use for a connector. IIRC the factory piece was a very small blade type connector which is long gone as it was ripped during a 40ish hour weekend thrash. I know, I know, shoulda done it the right way the first time. In reality all I've gotta do is connect the factory ground wire back to the sending unit but,

Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Make an extension to the wire, again I would solder it, and use an appropriate sized eyelet to attach it to the frame.

Comment

Sounds like a plan guys, thanks. Might not happen today as today is the day I realize I should own a soldering iron. I'll let ya know how it works out. I'm trying to get it sorted before I go to Maple Grove for Nationals next weekend.
                Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

See, if you lived in Michigan, I'd just come over and fix it for you.
                  Oh well.

Comment

I'd appreciate that but you can keep Michigan. :D Then again no safety inspection up there.
                    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac
                      I'd appreciate that but you can keep Michigan. :D Then again no safety inspection up there.
                      Or emissions testing, yet.

Comment

broken off the sender or at the frame? if it is on the sender i think it is solderd to the sender no connector

Comment

Broken at the sender, regardless of how it was connected originally I'll solder the sum bitch back on there.
                          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

you know you can get a brand new unit through dorman for $75.00 comes with wiring and a new float no rust no problems comes with i think mine came with 14-18 inches of wire with connector and all, even though i understad you no longer have the other side of the connector

Comment

Drive around till you run out of gas, then it'll be easy to drop the tank.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X