Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't have an oil drain plug with a magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't have an oil drain plug with a magnet?

No problem, get yourself a small size magnet, something around 1-2 inches in size place it on your oil pan near the drain plug and bam you have a magnetic filter for your oil that will have a stronger magnetic field than any plug type magnet. Also why I say put the magnet close to the drain hole is so when you are draining your oil, you can pull the magnet off the pan and have the oil wash whatever metal that is trapped there out the drain hole. I don't know, seems like a good idea, what do you think, or am I just smoking crack. ;) ;D

Re: Don't have an oil drain plug with a magnet?

I guess I am smoking the same crack,cause i dont see a problem with your solution.
    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

I suppose.

But when I can buy a magnet equipped drainplug for less than $10?

Still a good idea....

Comment

Something larger that sticks to the pan would likely catch more stuff than those puny magnets on the plug.

I remember an old 350 I had that ate the bottom of the dipstick. I pulled it to check the oil, saw none on the dipstick, and then realized I was missing the bottom couple inches of the dipstick. I threw a flat magnet on the back bottom of the pan and did a little fishing with a magnet gizmo during each oil change trying to find that little piece. When that engine came out at least 50k miles later, the piece was right on the magnet. They still use my chopped dipstick from that motor as a pointer during meetings in the office I work for in Chicago.

I think the Filtermag people beat you to your idea, since its a real strong magnet on the filter, you're more likely to get all the magnetic particles out during an oil change, even though there was no way my dipstick tip would've gotten through the oil pump.
        Tampa, FL

Comment

It's a solid idea.

Comment

A little dab of silicone will keep it from moving around!

Comment

good idea man....

Comment

I had a 9.5 GM rr axle I knew to be a posi, was going to put it in our '84 Blazer...

On disassembly I was pretty disappointed, both spider gears were in tatters. Shredded. The tricky little speed-adjusting posi mechanism was destroyed too. So I went into the bearings, etc. expecting more carnage, but no damage! All that metal that came off the gears etc. was stuck to a little magnet glued into the diff housing, none of it went on into the rest of the axle. Cool. Changed the bearings anyhow but the c-clip axles could have been trashed and were fine. Magnets a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                  what do you think, or am I just smoking crack. ;) ;D
                  Same 'crack' here. Must be good! ;)
                  I also always stick a magnet right above the drainplug.
                  You can use the magnet of a speaker, or if you want something even more powerfull, teardown into an old computer harddisk and rip out it's 2 head-magnets. I'm using harddisk-magnets on all my (running) cars engine-pans.
                  I also put magnets in rear-ends. Rear axles that is... ;D
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

all great ideas until you deside to run an aluminum oil pan on you car.

Comment

Originally posted by 70.5CAMARO
                      all great ideas until you deside to run an aluminum oil pan on you car.
                      In which case you epoxy it to a spot near the drain plug.

Comment

If you take an old speaker & remove the circular magnet you can attach it to the oil filter (it might even be the right size to just slip over it!) use some racer tape to stop it coming off & then every time you change oil & filter you throw away any harmful metal in the filter!

Comment

I like the idea of the filter mag to, but am not so keen on having metal particles going through my oil pump on the way to the filter. At least with a magnet on the pan it'll trap metal particles before they enter the pump.

But then you could run both and be double protected

Comment

It certainly coudn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                            X