Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Vette distributor help

How do you test and rebuild this unit?

It does not have a pick up coil mounted to the base that looks anything like what I have seen before. It has a FAST computer in it EFI, 383 with Canfield heads, hydraulic FT cam.

Trying to help a friend -- car intermittently won't start / stalls. Just replaced a blown head gasket and hope to fix / rebuild this dizzy when putting it together. It looks like junk to me . . . here is a pic

Re: 86 Vette distributor help

Does it have numbers on it? I see a 4H31 date code on the module, from what I know about AC Delco date codes that's from the 4th year of the decade, H is the 7th month, 31st day, so it would be from a 94 (which makes sense since the 86 vette HEI was the big cap style).

If you rebuilt it, you'll probably take it all apart and replace the pickup coil and module, then it won't have any old electronics to need testing. Also clean it thoroughly and check the bushings, lube, etc.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

On the module the 4H31 you mention is preceded by the number 369

On the bottom of the distributor is has these numbers stamped

1103749 9A 5

Thanks for your help. The owner says he thinks the distributor came from a Caprice and he had to get a small body distributor because he has an aftermarket TPI intake that is bigger than stock.

PS. A Google search on the part number 1103749 shows 87 up 5.7L trucks, vans, Camaros, Firebirds, and Caprice. Will pick up a p/u coil and module for probably a Caprice and call it good.

Comment

9 A 5 is probably Jan 5th 1989. Sounds like you're on the right track.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a new or reman'd distributor. I mean by the time you buy all the new electronics and rebuild it yourself, you'll probably have more time and money into it than just having the parts store drop off a distributor and dropping it in.

Comment

The "369" code module is the good one. The "048" code modules have internal spark latency that retards the spark over 3200 rpm regardless of what the pcm commands. An AC Delco #D1943A should get you a new "369" module. They can look far worse than that and still work just fine-they don't do much, and no moving parts like an old mechanical advance distributor. If there's no slop in the shaft it's probably good.

Comment

Follow those green and white wires and they should have the other end connected to the pick-up coil. That's definitely not a stock '86 Corvette distributor.

Comment

what ever you do i would use a OE gm module i think from experience after market is junk

Comment

the green and white wires are the pickup coil , the terminals get all yucky and the connector housing gets all soft
                  why are you rebuilding , if it works , leave it alone
                  the bushing likes to come out with the shaft when you drive it out

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried rebuilding the distributor and f'd it up trying the get the shaft out. Knocked the roll pin out, dropped the gear and when I tried sliding the shaft out it jammed up about half way. Absolutely could not get it to move and wound up breaking the reluctor wheel in the process. Not one of my better days today.

I wound up getting a $99 reman unit from Autozone -- just told him 87 Firebird 5.7L. The install wasn't as easy as you would think either. The lower section of the distributor body (with the groove for the oil passage) wasn't round and it wouldn't drop all the way into the block. After a few bad words and some emery cloth we got it in and set at the right spot. Have no idea what module is in it -- as long as it runs I'm happy.

Spidergearsman -- it didn't work, that's why I'm messing with it ;)

Comment

this is a little late but if you turn dist up side down fill with gum cutter let sit dump out then go at it with wd40 it will slide out without getting stuck most of the time. if that dont work

<<<<<<<<use this LOL

Comment

you got the shaft hung up on the bushing
                        exactly as I predicted
                        sorry to hear about your expense

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                          Thanks for the advice guys. I tried rebuilding the distributor and f'd it up trying the get the shaft out. Knocked the roll pin out, dropped the gear and when I tried sliding the shaft out it jammed up about half way. Absolutely could not get it to move and wound up breaking the reluctor wheel in the process. Not one of my better days today.

I wound up getting a $99 reman unit from Autozone -- just told him 87 Firebird 5.7L. The install wasn't as easy as you would think either. The lower section of the distributor body (with the groove for the oil passage) wasn't round and it wouldn't drop all the way into the block. After a few bad words and some emery cloth we got it in and set at the right spot. Have no idea what module is in it -- as long as it runs I'm happy.

Spidergearsman -- it didn't work, that's why I'm messing with it ;)
                          Feel your pain, done this to a 4.3 vortec distrib . Esencially the same.Wecked it,paused, pulled one out of the other 4.3 I had on the garage floor that I was trying not to strip,Slid it in and called it a day. I'm successful at changing the pick-up coil half the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X