Retrotek thottle bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrotek thottle bodies

Has anyone used or seen one of these setups in action?
    Was thinking of converting my SBF to fuel injection. Are they worth it. What are the pros and cons of this product?
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Re: Retrotek thottle bodies

The problem comes from the sideways pointing fuel injectors. I was told by someone smarter than me it can cause lean cylinders.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think DG pointed out on another thread on runner length where someone showed a domi converted to TBI that the thing had horrible idle and low throttle manners but wasn't too bad once you got out of the irratic vacuum and low velocity section of the rpm range. Personally I'd stick to factory or aftermarket MPFI setups, especially since the engine has readily available parts for both.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Standard TBIs off of OEM cars from the late 1980s worked great! but were of different design than some of these "replace your carb" solutions...

DIYautotune is working on dyno/EGT tests on similar setups, they're reporting the same kind of issues I ran into when trying a handful of these different systems on an engine dyno... the problem usually is, uneven fuel distribution especially at low RPM/ part throttle which gets worse with more valve overlap (aggressive cam).

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Complete EFI systems from 5.0L Mustangs are plentiful and cheap. Lots of aftermarket support too. That's what we used on my 68 Cougar, no regrets.

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Another option to consider is the Demon Carb VFI. I've had no personal experience with it, but it pretty much uses injectors to feed into normal boosters, so you're getting the fuel management of EFI but with regular carb fuel atomization.

Mighty Demons, Speed Demons, Road Demons, and all-new Street Demons carburetors have it all – classic modular performance with a modern look, killer features, and countless styles

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
              Another option to consider is the Demon Carb VFI. I've had no personal experience with it, but it pretty much uses injectors to feed into normal boosters, so you're getting the fuel management of EFI but with regular carb fuel atomization.

Mighty Demons, Speed Demons, Road Demons, and all-new Street Demons carburetors have it all – classic modular performance with a modern look, killer features, and countless styles

why not just buy a carb ?

why would you even think of this?

Comment

I was just throwing that out there as an idea. I have no personal experience with it, but from what I understood it took the best of both worlds, fuel management and tunability from EFI and fuel atomization/distribution from a carb.

I know, I know, if you tune a carb correctly it will be as good as EFI (don't tell deiselgeek I said that). We've had that discussion on here 52 time to infinity. 69prostreet mentioned Retrotek, Rebel mentioned poor fuel distribution across cylinders, so I threw this up as a possible alternative that wouldn't have the distribution issues.

Personally, I would either go the route of fitting a 5.0 style setup, either FoMoCo or aftermarket, or more likely a complete aftermarket single plane with port SFI. To each his own.

- I just re-read what I wrote, and don't read it as having an attitude, I was smiling the whole time I was typing. ;D
                sigpic

Comment

i do efi and i would go injector per cylinder over something like this any day. this way will provide the best results.

Comment

Working...
                  X